BC Boards

need help

Vaker

Hi,

I was recently handed down a 9 week border collie ( now almost 3 months old ) The dog is very very active like all border collies should be! I know that border collies require alot of attention , excersise, and "work" more than anything. I've read as much as I can and researched alot about them. I'm a 21 year old college student with a part time job, I don't want to leave the dog home or outside in the yard alone, I've read that lack of work can cause them to be destructive even nueratic. I'm emailing to hopefully get some help on the problems I'm facing so I can raise this dog as best as I can, and give her what she deserves!

I want your help on something I can assign the dog to do in a city where I don't own any cattle or sheep.

I'm also conerned, sometimes when she sleeps she would start to 'shake' as if she's having a nightmare was wondering if that was normal or not. Please please get back to me when you read this! Thanks in advance for your help!

Well I just adopted one three weeks ago and he does that "shaking" thing sometimes too. The worst is sometimes when I brush him. So it's probably just normal until he gets more settled in. Maybe he just doesn't feel 100% safe yet. But someone else might know more about it.

About the playing, there's a lot you can do in town, throwing balls, frisbee, hide and seek. There's some great games you can play. feel free to pm me if you want to. I'm sure someone will have more ideas, and will probably help more too. Good luck with him. Keep us updated.

Dogs do dream, and sometimes dream noisily and as if chasing invisible bears. If it ONLY occurs during sleep, it's probably just that. One way to find out is to (gently) wake the dog up and see if it stops; be careful not to startle the puppy, because just like you being woken during a dream, they can be disoriented or confused when woken while dreaming. (If the dog was, for instance, having a seizure - which I highly doubt - you would be unable to end it by waking the dog.) Also, I'd do this only once, as a test to see if it IS a dream, and don't make a habit of it. It's probably just as annoying for them to be woken up from a dream as it is for us, and since dreaming is essential for human mental health, there's at least a reasonable possibilty that it's equally as important for them. (If Finn appears to be having a BAD dream, I'll sometimes stroke him or speak to him softly, since it seems to lighten his sleep state a little and ease him out of the dream without startling him.)

Congrats on your puppy, and I believe there are a number of threads about how to keep a BC occupied; try the "search" function.