BC Boards

Bloody Nose

Bula's Lady

Last night my 9 year old mix dog had a nose bleed. It happened only out of her left nostril. She was sounding like a pug, those deep,throaty, i can't really breathe well..noises. I calmed her down and wiped up the blood which seemed to stop after a couple minutes.

She has been having episodes of in and out breathing...its so hard to describe. So we moved her food bowls off the ground...

I did take her to a vet today, and unfortunetly didn't get the one I wanted. But, since I was so worried I let this guy examine her. He gave me a laundry list of reason of why she could have a bloody nose. (no she did not get kicked by anything) We did a blood panel and everything came out pretty normal with a few areas being elevated as if she is fighting a cold.

My question is if anyone else has had to deal with nose bleeds? It has been a dry winter and we are working on humidifying the house because of the wood stove. Just looking for thoughts...

Please,please, please get her tested for Erlichiosis. This a red flag for this tick borne illness!! Doxy is the treatment and my vet treats for 3 months. I would print out the webpage posted below and take them to your vet. Many vets don't take tick borne illness seriously enough..

http://home.earthlink.net/~hawkeye87/ehrlichia.html

Erlichiosis

Hmmm... as a general rule of thumb, if the nose bleed is unilateral (one-sided), it's more likely to be local disease (trauma, foreign body, oronasal fistula, tumor, local vascular disease, etc); and if it's bilateral (two-sided), it's more likely to be systemic disease (a clotting disorder, vasculitis, infectious disease, etc.) This is a generalization, of course, and not proof; I can't see the dog, so this is just general info. However, if I didn't see any other signs of clotting disorders or bleeding elsewhere than the nose, and the panels have come back normal, I'd probably look for local disease first and systemic disease second. That's just me, of course, and I say that completely without the benefit of having examined the dog, so take that for what it's worth.

Unfortunately, there IS a laundry list of things that can case nasal bleeding. The vet wasn't trying to be vague. There really ARE many possibilties.

BTW, the respiratory pattern you mention sounds like it might be a reverse sneeze - kind of looks like an asthma attack, generally accompanied by some upper-body movement, sharp inhalation through the nose nad exhalation through the mouth. Looks like they're just inches from checking out on you, but they don't. Reverse sneezes are benign, although they look dreadful. They happen more comonly when there's other nasal disease (a cold, for instance), but can happen any time in perfectly healthy dogs. Sometimes you can break the pattern by massaging the upper airways - rubbing the throat &/or the bridge of the nose. However, if it's occurring because of the nose bleed, or whatever is causing the nose bleed, the real key with getting that to go away will be to address the underlying issue.

Doc-

The reverse sneeze describes almost perfectly what she is doing. Sometimes it is more gutteral...like a cat with a deep hairball. Fortunatley she hasn't had a bloody nose since the other night but she does do the reverse sneeze about 5x daily. The vet here did say that her white cells where up and that it looked like she was fighting a cold...

my other theory i just thought of...i wonder if she has some type of worms. I wormed her when I wormed the horses in early Nov after our first mini frost...but amazingly, here in NH, we haven't really had winter yet at all! So I wonder if she has some type of worm because she does eat horse and cow poo! Side note is that my 3 kittens I got in the beg of nov had roundworms which I got medication for....

But thanks for letting me know about the reverse sneeze..it does scare me because it looks so bad! Can I bring her to alaska to have you look at her??

Hi,

I've got a 7 year old BC that had Bloody Noses just recently but they stopped altogether on its own. It too was only out of the left nostril. It wasn't ever a lot of blood just drops here and there and mainly when she was playing or got over active. Our vet was going to do testing but since they stopped she didn't want to aggrivate the situation any if it wasn't necessary. It's been over 3 weeks now and knock on wood we haven't had any signs of blood. She believes it was a foreign matter that got sniffed up and lodged and finally broke free.

Good luck and those Oxy Pod cleaners work wonders on blood stains - I have two!!!

Hey, seems like a long commute just to see a vet, but by all means - knock yourself out! :rolleyes::D

Easy enough to check for worms, and never a bad thought in general - drop your vet off a nice poop sample and let them have a look. Some worm species DO migrate through lungs during one life stage, and while I think it's unliklely that that's causing the nose bleeds, it's not impossible... always avoid "always" and never say "never" in vet med and all that. Certainly weirder things have happened!

Hi, it may be worth your while looking at Washington State University College of Vetinary Medicine website. They've got a lot of info on nasal problems in dogs. We used it when our 9 year old BC started bleeding from one nostril and was sort of grunting, gasping and sneezing a year ago. We looked at various websites for likely causes and WSU was quite good.Our vet tested him for all kinds of things but eventually decided it was probably aspergillus. An operation at the animal hospital followed. He's fine now although it took a while to recover. I think that the vet's patience and thoroughness was the initial key in sorting the problem out. An efficient vet's worth a lot and if you've not got a good one already then find one. Good luck...

• 13 years later...

hi, I have a 5 month old border collie. today after his walk I noticed that there were drops of blood on the floor so I checked his mouth in case one of his tooth fell, and I noticed it was his nose. he didn't fight with ant dog or anything. and her was acting completely normal he is still playing around and is very energetic. is this serious? or could it just be that he hurt himself with a plant or something?