BC Boards

intestinal lymphangiectasia

skd

Does anyone have any experience with intestinal lymphangiectasia? My 12.5 yr old has just been diagnosed by biopsy. She is now on prednisone and metronidazole. She has frequent bouts of nausea and vomiting/dry heaving. I'd appreciate any insight or experience anyone has had with this disease.

Thanks,

Sheryl

Intestinal lymphangiectasia is rare, and involves inflammation of the small bowel causing swelling and rupture of the lymph ducts. The bowel is unable to absorb nutrients,especially fats, so she has lost a lot of weight very rapidly. She also had intractable vomiting and diarrhea for several days. She is now on prednisone and antibiotic, and we're doing our best to entice her to eat. She needs nutrients, primarily carbs, now or she will starve to death.

I can't contribute anything but to say how sorry I am that she (and you) are facing this serious situation. Best wishes that you can both cope with it and that she can be as comfortable as possible.

Hello SKD,

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. I hope she's doing better.

I'm very interested in finding out more about this disease, as my BC girl had very similar symptoms. She had the intractible vomiting, but on her barium swallow it appeared there was a delay from the stomach to the small intestines. This led the vet to think there was an obstruction. He did an exploratory lap, which was negative. The biopsy'd tissue report should be back tomorrow.

I know you don't know me as I just got accepted onto this site, but I hope you'll contact me.

Thanks,