BC Boards

Lepto vaccine

Are these reactions supposed to be immediatly after the vaccine administration? Mine didn't have a single shadow of an issue. He's healthy, 44.4 lb and 16 months old.

The reason I had it done is because the vet said leptospyrosis has started to appear in CO recently, where it didn't use to be. She didn't push it on us, she even said that if the dog is kept on the leash most of the time, than probably it is not necessary, but that the consequences of not treating on time the disease can be fatal (liver failure, etc).

Both my holistic and allopathic vets are completely against it. The holistic vet told me "it's the most reaction prone vaccine on the market".

I discussed the situation with another vet who is a dog training acquaintence and who uses her terriers for true go-to-ground hunting (in Canada and Northeast) for raccoons and groundhogs. Now she of all people would have greatest risk to her dogs - and I know she does not take that lightly. Her answer to whether to vaccinate was: "never, no way!" The reactions she had witnessed in client dogs that insisted on having it done have horrified her.

The research the vets provided me with indicated that no matter what the risk of the area the vaccine was a not recommended for puppies, dogs under 25 lbs, or any dog with any other immune compromising issue.

Do you know if these reactions and the resulting opinions were from the older "whole-bacteria" 2 way letpo vaccines or the newer "sub-unit" LetpoVax 4 released in May of 2005?

To minimize the safety concerns historically associated with the use of vaccines containing the entire Leptospira bacteria, Wyeth uses an innovative process to manufacture our Leptopsira vaccines. This exclusive process, known as subunit technology, results in a product proven to be both safe and effective under field conditions. "Wyeth’s unique subunit manufacturing technology separates the surface immunogens from extraneous intra-cellular debris, yielding a very safe vaccine," says Dr.Valli. "The result is a highly purified product. Other manufacturers’ vaccines, using whole-cell production methods, contain the entire leptospira organism which may include endotoxins. Preliminary investigations have established a reaction rate for LeptoVax 4 of only 0.01% in over a quarter of a million doses.

Mark

Both the lepto included in the multi combination vaccines and the 4 way by Fort Dodge as far as I know.

From an online vet supply:

"LeptoVax™ 4

Leptospira Canicola-Grippotyphosa-Icterohaemorrhagiae-Pomona Bacterin Vaccine

(Fort Dodge) For dogs 6 weeks and older, give 1 dose and then a second dose 2-3 weeks later. Annual revaccination is recommended.

NOTE: Never vaccinate a small dog or young pup with Lepto. The vaccine is not needed and can cause harsh and sometimes fatal reactions. House dogs do not need to be vaccinated for Lepto; adult outside dogs need to be vaccinated for Lepto only if there is a possibility of traveling in the same area as feral animals. Please always remember to read label instructions and consult your vet before administering any vaccine.

If the above is the "new" Wyeth (?) vaccine they don't seem to have much faith in it.

NOTE: Never vaccinate a small dog or young pup with Lepto. The vaccine is not needed and can cause harsh and sometimes fatal reactions. House dogs do not need to be vaccinated for Lepto; adult outside dogs need to be vaccinated for Lepto only if there is a possibility of traveling in the same area as feral animals. Please always remember to read label instructions and consult your vet before administering any vaccine.

Who is the source of this note?

I suspect that Jeffers (or other supply companies) may not be up on all the latest developments. I would suggest UC Davis Vet School would be more up to date on new vaccines. Here is what they are telling their clients about Lepto vaccinations

Canine Leptospira Vaccines

Multiple leptospiral serovars are capable of causing disease in dogs, and minimal cross-protection is induced by each serovar. Currently available vaccines do not contain all serovars, efficacies against infection with the targeted serovar are between 50 and 75%, and duration of immunity is probably about 1 year. However, leptospirosis is not uncommon in Northern Californian dogs with exposure histories involving livestock and areas frequented by wild mammals, the disease can be fatal or have high morbidity, and also has zoonotic potential. Therefore, we suggest annual vaccination of dogs living in/visiting rural areas or areas frequented by wildlife with vaccines containing all four leptospiral serovars (grippotyphosa, pomona, canicola and icterohemorrhagiae), ideally before the rainy season, when disease incidence peaks. The initial vaccination should be followed by a booster 2-4 weeks later, and the first vaccine be given no earlier than 12 weeks of age. In general, leptospiral vaccines have been associated with more severe postvaccinal reactions (acute anaphylaxis) than other vaccines. Whether the recent introduction of vaccines with reduced amounts of foreign protein has reduced this problem is still unclear. Vaccination of dogs in suburban areas with minimal exposure to farm animals or forested areas is not recommended. Anecdotally, the incidence of reactions has been greatest in puppies (< 12 weeks of age, and especially < 9 weeks of age) and small-breed dogs. A careful risk-benefit analysis is recommended before considering vaccination of small breed dogs at risk of exposure to leptospires.

Source: UC Davis VMTH Canine and Feline Vaccination Guidelines

In this quote the vets at UC Davis state that it is not clear if the new vaccine has reduced the incidence of adverse reactions, suggesting there still is insufficient data (hard or anecdotal) to make this assessment. They then go on to say what they know, anectodally, about the older vaccines; this (performance of the older vaccines) is what I believe your quote is based upon.

Mark

I did find this from WSU Vet School on the rate of adverse reactions with letpo vaccines.

Are canine lepto vaccines likely to cause adverse vaccine reactions?

There is no evidence that vaccines against lepto are more likely to cause adverse reactions than any other routine canine vaccine. A recent publication (Moore et al. JAVMA 2005;227:1102-1108) reported on data from 3,439,576 vaccine doses given to dogs. The lepto vaccine in combination with DAPP had an adverse reaction rate of 28.8/10,000, or less than 0.3%. This was no different than the rabies or coronavirus vaccines.

Source: Leptospirosis Vaccination Fact Sheet for Washington State Veterinarians (March 2006)

Mark