BC Boards

What to do for general checkup?

I'm taking my two in for their yearly checkups soon. Kipp is due for his 1-year booster for rabies and the other general shot for parvo, etc. I only want to do shots every 3 years, so Tess is not due for shots until next year, when her next rabies is due.

I want to get a baseline for bloodwork and ask them to give me a copy so I can keep it with the dogs' other records. I also want to get a thyroid panel for Tess just to be sure. Kipp had blood work about 8 months ago but I want everyone on the same schedule for that for checkups. It's easier on Tess if Kipp is at the appointment, too. Gives her someone to hide behind. :rolleyes:

I am also going to ask their opinions about the dogs' toenails and if they should be shorter. I think they are fine, but I figure what is one quick question just to ease my mind, right?

Is there anything else I should get checked on a yearly basis? I don't know if things like heartworm, parasites, etc. are a good thing to get checked even if there are no symptoms? We don't generally have heartworm here, from what I have been able to tell. Vets never recommend heartworm medication to me.

I have always been of the opinion, for my health and that of my animals, is that it is better to check things NOW and find out EARLY than it is to wait and have problems later.

I thought if I went in to make the appointment and had a list of what I wanted done for each dog, it would make it easier for them to schedule the right amount of time and/or whatever day it needs to be for their sending off of lab stuff, etc. I know they appreciated it when I had a list of stuff for when Kipp was neutered (he also got his toenails done, his microchip, blood work, etc.).

Thanks.

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

I would not take it upon myself to decide Fegie got vacinations on a particular schedule. I'm willing to pay for the titres to see if she has sufficient antibodies. So far, she's in her 4th year needing nothing but the rabies, which is mandated by law every 3 years here. The vet also does the thyroid and heartworm checks at the same time.

How about calling and asking the vet what they recommend? Kind of puts you in the pick-and-choose mode rather than invention. I look for heart, lungs, sort of all over checking, joints, whatever. I ask lots of questions.

I also take a list of things I'm wondering about - jsut as I do at my own check-ups.

My vet checks heartworm, fecal, examines ears, eyes, teeth and gums, capillary return on gums, lungs, heart, joints for arthritis, abdomen, mammary glands in girls, penis in boys, anal glands and area, feels lymph glands on all dogs regardless of age. She starts basework exams for seniors at 9-10 with standard geriatric blood work [organs, thyroid, etc.], x-rays of hips, and if appropriate, an ultrasound to determine heart condition - such as an enlarged heart. Hope this helps.

bc friend--thank you. That is a big help.

Last time I took my dogs in for a checkup (was a different vet than we have now) they just pretty much looked in the ears and looked at the teeth & sent us on our way. I want to be a bit more informed this time about what should be checked and then I can ask why something is not applicable to my dog if it is not done, so I will know for future visits.

I tried to find a book or some kind of resource with this information but pretty much everything I found says "And the vet will check the dog's teeth, ears, etc." What's the etc. is what I wanted to know.

Allie + Tess & Kipp

Nancy -- thanks. I will ask what they recommend but there are sometimes things that a busy vet does not think of that might be something I could bring up and see what they thought.

I would call and ask, but I never get to talk to an actual vet on the phone here. I get the desk person, who is a vet tech, but if I want to talk to a vet, I have to go in with an appointment.

A previous vet (Tess's first, so that's a few vets back, what with moving around) said that every 3 years was fine for the shots, and my own research supports that, so I am confident with my choice in that regard.

Allie + Tess & Kipp