BC Boards

Rabies vaccine question

Zoe

I have searched, but can't really get an answer to the question that I have. In Japan to administer the rabies vaccine is compulsory by law. And at first I didn't understand this, but it must be given between March and June of each year. Dylan had his first vaccine in October because of his birthdate ( Spring ). I'll cut a long story short but last year I unwittingly broke the law by waiting till October to give him his second shot. I talked to my vet and he reckons it is safe to give Dylan his third shot 4 months early. I know ! We have already gotten into July so I have technically broken the law again I don't think I am committing a serious offence and I believe his current vaccine offers him protection and so he is not a threat to others. My question is, do you think it is safe to give the rabies vaccine 4 months early ? If anyone "knows", that is great. If not, I'll do a bunch of research. I just feel all researched out at the moment

I sure would like to see a blood titre done to evaluate the immunity level at this time. If it is high now, then a new vaccination would combine with the present immunity, and there would actually be less immunity. Can you get blood titres? Since rabies is a very high risk vaccine, it would be nice to let the dog`s system have a break.

Trailrider, thanks for that. I have read about titres in other threads and I don't know if having them done in Japan is common. I doubt it, but I should really find out and will. I was told by my vet that the rabies vaccine wasn't a high risk one... I understand from your reply that his immunity could possibly lessen. I don't think we are at any risk of rabies living where we do or going where we go. This may sound irresponsible, but I am more concerned that the vaccine may hurt Dylan in some way. I have no idea in which way that may be, but want to exercise caution. I think I am going to have to research the vaccine and it's risk factor since you say it is a high risk vaccine. I don't actually plan on having him get the vaccine till October again. All that happens is I get a postcard from the city telling me I haven't had my dog vaccinated and that I should do so. I wonder whether the time for the rabies vaccination is stipulated in Canada or the U.S. or other countries like it is in Japan and what the reason for that may be.