BC Boards

fleas??

jdjs4f

hello. our family has a just turned 1 yr old border collie. my husband swears he read or heard that a border collie's coat is too dense to support fleas. he swears we do not have to treat her to prevent fleas. but i cant seem to find any info to support that! shouldnt we treat her to prevent a flea infestation? any info would help! thanks!

Wow, nope, they definitely can and do get fleas! Trust me on this one! We used to get terrible flea outbreaks before Advantage came out years ago. Right now I am using Advantix because it also protects against ticks and mosquitoes (heartworm carrier).

Yes, they can get fleas and some dogs are very allergic to flea bites. A double coat doesn't protect them against fleas or ticks. Another reason to use a flea preventative like Advantage or Frontline is that fleas are a host for tapeworms and if your dog eats a flea by biting at it, your dog can also pick up tapeworms.