BC Boards

Ordering vaccines

Rave

Jeffers is great and they are in Alabama, which means that transit time is only a day or so. I get a lot of my livestock stuff there, too.

That's odd. I wonder why they'd do that. A national law, I'm assuming?

You can get them from feed stores, I think. Last I checked both Tractor Supply and the Southern States near me had them.

I've always heard that you should be wary of feed stores as there's no guarantee that the vaccines were kept cold from the time they were shipped until the time they were stocked in the fridge at the store (you know, kinda like the milk that sits on the loading dock for so long at the grocery store that it spoils before its sell by date). I don't know if there's any truth to that, but just wanted to throw it out there for consideration.

One option would be to go together with several folks who also need vaccines and buy the multidose vial and share it.

J.

Originally posted by rtphokie:

Interesting... just found out why... supposedly legislation was passed preventing catalog companies from selling single dose vaccines. :-(

This happened a while ago -IMO - pressure from the AVMA lobby caused the legislature. With all the online veterinary supplies now available, making it impossible to get a single dog or cat vaccine is a way get their clients coming back to the office. You can still buy multipacks, but you have to get 24 or so at a time. If you have multiple dogs, and so do one or two friends; even if you end up throwing away a few vaccines, its still cheaper than a vet visit (if you can administer your own).

According to the rep I talked to at KV, similar legislation was passed years ago but for some reason (loophole?) it only lasted a short time. I understand why it was done... not everyone should be administering vaccines on their own and most pet owners should be going to their vets yearly for checkups, but those of us who can handle stuff on our own are getting screwed. I really don't trust the local feed stores either.

I'm able to still get a single dose combo shot with Lepto... I'm just checking with my vet to make sure it's the correct strain(s) before I buy it.

Did you check Drs. Foster & Smith? I've gotten vaccines from them before.

The way I understood the law was that the vaccines had to be sold in the original package. So if they were originally packaged in single doses you could buy them that way. But multi dose packs could not be broken up to sell individualy.

But maybe that has all changed now...