BC Boards

Border Collie w/ AIHA

SeinkosMom

Seinko is 7 years old and was diagnosed with Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia this past weekend. She received a blood transfusion to save her life on Saturday. They put her on prednisone, imutran, doxycycline, and another medicine to coat her stomach. She's been to see her regular vet as of yesterday and we're in the process of adjusting the meds to reasonable level to avoid nausea. I'm just looking to see if anyone here has an AIHI BC and has any advice/tips besides the meds on how to get her beyond the crisis stage and onto recovery...and hopefully, remission.

Thanks

Hi,

I dealt with this many years ago with my bc. Mine was so ill that it was touch and go for about a week. He received several blood transfusions and I cannot remember all the meds he was on, since he remained hospitalized at the veterinary school at NC State for the duration of the crisis. I was a vet tech for years and never felt so helpless as when my guy had this illness. There was nothing I could do other than provide moral support. It sounds like you are doing everything you can. Best of luck.

Thanks -

Yes it seems to be very much touch and go....one minute I think she's doing better, the next her condition seems to be deteriorating. The ER vet did a great job bringing her back but offered a very gaurded prognosis. He said, typically, life expectancy with treatment is two years....I'd like to think that's not always true. Anyway, it sure puts things into perspective...a week ago I was annoyed that there was fur all over the house because she's shedding - now I've got it all over me and I could care less!

Thanks for your reply....

SeinkosMom,

I dealt with AIHA with a cat. We struggled with it for 6 months and it was very difficult. He was on prednisone, procrit and subcutaneous fluids. He disappeared one day - let him sit in the garden to get some sun on an exceptionally beautiful day and between one minute and the next he was gone. I believe he passed away. He was not likely to survive much longer even with medical care. I hope Seinko does well. How is his kidney function?

Lisa

We too dealt with AIHA. My BC Fly was just two months shy of her 3rd birthday when she became ill very suddenly and was diagnosed. Sadly her battle was very short. She was diagnosed on a Monday night at the emergency clinic and passed away justa few days later on the Thursday. She had received her first blood tranfusion the day she passed and was looking much better her RBC came up into the high 20's from being a ultra low 13. She was looking really good and some of that BC sparkle had returned to her eyes, she even wagged her tail when she saw us. She passed away a couple of hours later with us by her side.

I found a great website with info and stories about AIHA http://www.cloudnet.com/~jdickson

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your dog.

So sorry to hear about Seinko. Sadly, my experience with AIHA in my previous Border Collie was only short. Sam at over 12 and a half went from being apparently fighting fit, to being off colour, then very ill(PRBC 18)in a couple of days. My vet wanted to confirm the diagnosis before she started the aggressive treatment, but unfortunately Sam died early the next morning - luckily, at home with me.

One of the Board members has some more positive experience with his dog Molly - maybe he will see this and post. Sounds like at least you're getting past the immediate crisis - that's got to be hopeful. Lots of good thoughts and furry hugs to Seinko and you.

Depends on what started this episode of AIHA. Sometimes this occurs following an infection of leptospirosis or one of the tickborne diseases (RMSF, Ehrlichia, Lyme)--probably why your dog is on doxycycline. I have found these dogs do quite well if they make it through the acute crisis.

If the AIHA is not found secondary to something else and there are ongoing immune system "issues", these dogs tend to relapse, and not do so well.

Wishing you all the best.

JBP

SeinkosMom,

If Seinko hasn't been tested for TBD, you should ask your vet about it. As JBP stated, the doxy is probably to cover that contingency, but since the prednisone suppresses the immune system, it is actually contraindicated in TBD Tx unless absolutely necessary. Given your description, the pred is necessary, but if your vet knew that the AIHA was precipitated by tick-borne disease, then s/he might want to try to adjust dosages of doxy and pred once the main crisis is over. FWIW, doxy can cause stomach upset. The folks on the tick disease list recommend giving the doxy with a food chaser, and if stomach upset is bad, you can split the daily doxy dose into four smaller doses and see if that helps with the stomach upset.

J.

My first BC, Calvin was diagnosed with Immune-Mediated Hemolytic Anemia (IMHA)at eight years old, through routine bloodwork for neutering scheduled the next day. I am no slouch, but without my noticing, his PCV had dropped to well below normal, and he was in serious trouble very quickly.

Calvin went through a lot of troubles in his life with IMHA, and he lived for a little over a year with it, and all the odd-ball things that developed along the way. I am glad to have nursed him through it--he had a decent life and I learned a LOT; he went to trials with me when I went and enjoyed life until the very end, although if he weren't a BC, with a real passion for life, I wonder if he would have.

Please don't hesitate to PM me if you want to chat about it. To do so here may or may not be beneficial or enjoyable to all the others.

My BC Moss was diagnosed with IMHA March 12 of this year.... still fighting still not out of the woods. He spent 15 days in the Emerg. Clinic.

Check out.

http://www.vetnet.co.uk/

A great forum that has lots of support, info and success! This is a terrible disease but dogs do survive and live normal lives.

Wishing you and Seinko the best.

Cindy

• 1 month later...

Thanks all who replied to my initial message, I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner (been kinda busy!), and I'm sorry to hear that some of you lost your dear friends to this disease. You'll be glad to know that Seinko seems to be one of the lucky ones. Though her blood count was initially at 14 and she received the one blood transfusion, she hasn't had a bad blood count since even though we've tapered down the pred (soon to be completely off of it within a couple of weeks!) I feel very grateful and thank you all for your stories and info links. It always makes you feel a little bit better to know that others have endured the same problem.

Take Care!

Chelsta