BC Boards

Latest vet visit

Miztiki

Boy's ears have not been washed in nearly 3 weeks. That's about how long he's been on the raw diet. His one ear was slightly dirty, but only needed to be wiped with a dry cotton ball. The other ear was so clean that a cotton ball produced nothing. ISN'T THAT GREAT?!!

Not only that, but his coat and skin really does look good. My vet supports his raw diet and suggested that I switch my cats over too. I've offered them small pieces of raw meat but they won't have anything to do with it so far.

I just wanted to share with you all how well he's doing. He has so much more energy lately. Today he initiated play with me several times. He also played again at the dog park. He's a real hoot to watch when he's playing with the other dogs! I'm taking him back up north Thursday so he can play with his "girlfriend" Dixie, the English Shepherd.

That's all.

Oh yeah, he lost a couple excess pounds too.

I recommend you join the Yahoo rawfeeding list for the type of raw I feed Boyden. It's all meat - no veggies or supplements or things like that. There are other types of diets that do incorporate those things. Just read as much as you can and go with the diet you think is best. I won't argue for one way or the other on here about the differences.

For the prey model diet (Boy's diet), I just stopped kibble altogether and gave him a variety of raw meat and bones. I found out a few days later that you should start with just one protein source, say chicken, because a variety right off the bat can cause digestive problems in dogs. Well, Boy didn't have any problems, so I just continued.

Really, it's as easy as giving him a whole chicken one day, a light meal the next couple days, a roast the next time, etc. It's really fun to watch him eat too! He LOVES this new diet.

So far, yes, it is kind of expensive, around $2/day. We don't have a freezer yet, so I'm buying his meat at the grocery store, and that can be a bit pricey. There are lists you can join that will help you find cheaper sources of meat, usually in bulk.

On the other hand, I no longer buy bully sticks, mammoth bones, or other treats for him. He would rather have his RMB's!

That is SO cool. I found I saved enough in toys and chewies that I could afford to buy rmbs at the grocery store, even for my gang. When we had four dogs, that is! I've since been driven to economizing but we all have since gas prices have gone up so much.

Sadly, it seems we will have to trade in the Shouse DogMobile (2001 Suburban) for something with both a smaller payment and better gas mileage. But when I do that, I'll be able to go back to driving to Lake Norman for my bulk rmbs and green tripe.

Anyway, back to the toy issue, now I've raised two pups on the raw meaty bones and both have had no problems chewing inappropriate things. It could be Steve doesn't breed pups that chew, of course, :D but I doubt it since these two are only about twenty-five percent related. They eat/ate a pound or so of meaty bones three times a day and it takes them up to an hour to finish their dinner each time - I think they get their fill of chewing!

Ann is now finishing her meals much quicker and is also getting her adult teeth so I make sure she has recreational bones throughout the day, too. I got slack about that and caught her ripping up a loose porch board the other day. :rolleyes: I bought her a slab of ribs and she's been fine ever since.

On the raw list they actively warn against rec bones, but I give Boy a rib every night when we go to bed. He's quite a gentleman when he eats. I'm surprised he doesn't use a fork and a knife. :rolleyes: He carefully picks the meat off the bone without attempting to eat the bone itself. I don't fall asleep until he's done and in the morning there is just a bare bone. It has replaced his Kong.

I've been keeping my eye out for a big slab of ribs at a good price. If I find one I'll take pictures.