BC Boards

Is it normal to have a fair amount of bleeding when a pup is losing baby teeth?

kaci

We've never rescued a teething age puppy before.

Our bc or bc-mix lost his front teeth uneventfully. However with the canines and the molars there was blood. A fair amount. On floor and rawhide bones. A couple I even applied pressure too. Needless to say, we have a couple of his teeth saved :c).

He is a big chewer so perhaps they came out too early. He is booked to be neutered at the end of the month, and I'm just wondering if this amount of bleeding is normal or should I make a point of mentioning it to his vet. Are there any border collie bleeding disorders?

Kaci

If you're worried about bleeding disorders - and any dog can have one, regardless of breed, including mixed-breed dogs - ask your vet to check for coaglopathies before you have the surgery. Depending on what they do and what lab they use, this may take several days to get results on, so I'd plan to get the test one to two weeks before you plan to get the neuter, to allow plenty of time for it to come back from the lab. (Some are faster than others, depending on if they have to ship samples and so on.) We don't see very many coalgulopathies, but it pretty much sucks to do a routine procedure on an animal and then find that it won't stop bleeding. Hence it's always preferable to know in advance that there's a problem. Since you have a suspicion or a concern about it, checking first is the safer course.

Kaci,

Please, please, please have your dog tested before having him/her fixed. It is worth every penny. I had my BC fixed at the beginning of this year but because she was under 5 the vet did not think that we needed to do any testing. Also, make sure that you are allowed to bring the dog home after the surgery. Do not leave the dog at the vet's overnight. My vet required it. My BC (full blood) had never shown any signs of a bleeding disorder and she had cut herself before but she bleed out overnight after being fixed. The vet said that she did bled a little more than normal during the spay but not enough for him to be worried. All was well after the surgery but I got a call the next morning saying that she had bled out during the night. Please spend the extra money testing for the disorder. I don't want anyone to go through what my family did. We still think about her every day. She was only 5 years old. I now have another BC from the same lines and had her tested before being spayed. It was a very rough day while Zoye (new BC) was being spayed but the vet was very understanding (after numerous calls from me) after I explained the situation to her. Hopefully this will help someone else.

Zoye's Mom

Kaci,

It's of course a good idea to mention it to the vet. My experience has been that there is indeed a fair amount of blood when puppy teeth are lost. It's hard to know from your description just how much blood was lost. Blood on whatever the pup was chewing is normal. Even some drips on the floor. "A lot" is a relative term, and without some standard to compare it to, we can't really judge over the Internet. So go ahead and mention it to your vet and then follow his/her advice. Or, if the vet suggest not doing pre-surgery testing and you want to do it, then insist that it be done.

J.

I've rescued a bunch of puppies and have seen a wide range of bleeding with the tooth loss. I've never been tempted to apply pressure, but pups were kenneled in the puppy kennel during down time, and I wouldn't have thought about it, probably.

I second (or third) the pre-surgery screening. If nothing else, it provides a baseline to help diagnose future problems. I've had maybe half a dozen of these screenings turn up an issue that would not have been noticed, most likely, until much later when it would have been more problematic to deal with. You have to request the bleeding test at my vet but it's just a few dollars more since it goes to the same lab.

Tucky did bleed some when he lost the front teeth.... put then again he practically pulled them out playing with his wholly ball. He wanted to play tug a war and I was trying to spare is teeth .... he won. There wasn't a lot of blood but reminded me of my older son when he would lose a tooth just a wee bit too early.