BC Boards

Puppy fluff on a 6 Year old Blue/white

Sparty

Hi I have a 6 year old Blue desexed male who has virtually no top coat from his shoulders back, it looks like puppy fluff!! if you look closely you can see occasional top hairs but nothing like forward of his shoulders, any suggestions on what i can do about this as it makes him an absolute grass seed magnet and gives us major issues in summer as he is in and out of the dam all the time and gets a matted coat very quickly :rolleyes:

Hi, Sparty,

My 9 yr old girl, Samantha, has what I refer to as 'cotton candy' fur - everything sticks to it. All 3 dogs will be running around the same back yard or park, and Sammi comes in with at least 3 times as much stuff stuck to her as the other 2 combined.

What I do, and this might help with your boy, is keep her 'extra' hair trimmed pretty short - an inch and a half or so. This means that every once in a while, I get out the scissors and cut off her feathers on all 4 legs, that thick fur that growns on her haunches, the wispy stuff on her chest and belly, and her tail. She sometimes looks like she got run over by a lawnmower, but she collects a lot less stuff.

And, of all 3 dogs, she's the one who has gotten a lot more coat as she's aged. She's much fluffier than she was at 2.

Hope this was helpful.

Ruth n the Border Trio

his legs and chest.. mainly where he is white he has excellent coat and there are no problems with that, the fuzz is mainly on his dark coat, i have been clipping him each year i'm sure the local dogs laugh at him :rolleyes: the regrowth is always the same lovely long top coat on the shoulders then kinky puppy fuzz on the rest of him :D we lived in the city for his first 3 years so i didnt need to clip him then and it still didnt grow thru. I was wondering if it is a common problem with the blue colour?