BC Boards

Please help with Vomitting!!

Some of you may remember me telling you all that Mason had been run over and has been doing really good. Well now he has started vomitting a ton, and not eating. He is still drinking, but just doesn't act like he wants to do anything. While we were outside he did want to chase the cat, so I thought that was a good sign. I called the emergency vet since all offices are closed until Monday. They said to give him pedialite and pepto and if he is not better my Monday to bring him in.

Since a few of you are vets, I was just wondering what you would suggest. I tried doing a search for things to give a dog when he is vomittin, but I found a lot of other information instead of what I was looking for. Please help!! The vet said that since the accident happened over a week ago it is probably not related.

I'm not a vet, but if this were an animal of mine, I'd have him at the emergency vet right now. It might not be related to being run over, but I'd want a vet to tell me that after doing some tests and looking at him in person.

Hope he's ok, I know it's awful when they're not well.

Ruth

I did call the emergency vet. They said that unless he is not urinating or not drinking water, or blood doesn't come out with the puke that he should be ok until Monday when we can take him to our vet. They also said that he may just have an upset stomach. We've been giving him the Pepto and Pedialite and it seems to be working. Has not thrown up for a few hours now, and is starting to get some of his energy back.

First thing this morning we took Mason to our regular vet. His suspicion on Mason's upset tummy is a mixture of the medications the othr vet gave him after he had been run over. The vet said that two of the three medications can cause ulcers in dogs when they are given together.

Well I guess we will never take our dogs to another vet again. I knew we should have taken him to our regular vet, but this was somewhat of an emergency and this was the closest one.

Now Mason has three other medications he has to take 3 times a day 1/2 hour apart. We have to try these for a few days to see if it will get his system going and keep everything in. If this doesn't help we have to go back in for x-rays and blood tests. I feel horrible now, but hopefully things will start looking better.

The vet just called me again. He said he didn't want to worry me, but he was doind some additional research on Mason's symptoms and found a cat who had been run over and was showing the same things. She had a herniated Diaphram! He said he really does think that it is from the two medications being given together, but he just wanted to let me know. If he doesn't start getting better by wednesday we will have to take him back in for bloodwork and x-rays. I hope this medication works and he will start being back to his old normal self.