BC Boards

specific nuts particularly good or bad?

Hedera

Moira adores her new Kong (I bought the black one, size Large) and I think she would adore it even more if I put some food in there sometimes.

I've read the Kong website, with all the recipes; quite a lot of them call for peanutbutter.

Now, I'm quite sure American peanutbutter is sweet. Is that right?

In the Netherlands, the stuff is not sweet, but salty. It contains quite a lot of salt (people with high bloodpressure are adviced not to eat it).

At the health food store, I can buy jars of *only* ground peanuts, with neither salt nor sugar added. They also have other kinds of ground nut: cashew, almond and hazelnut (I have that in the house right now; it's lovely on bread with some cream cheese and honey!).

So the choice isn't limited to peanut.

I've heard that walnuts are bad for dogs (I don't think they sell those ground anyway) but are there any other nuts I should stay clear of?

Or any kind of nut that is particularly good for dogs?

Common brands of peanut butter in the US are sweetened (Skippy, Jif, for example). They probably also have added salt, being the processed foods that they are. You can also buy "natural" brands here, like Adams, that are only ground peanuts, or there is a peanut-butter grinder in the health food store to make your own.

We're bad dog parents, I suppose... we give them Skippy in their frozen Kongs. But it's a rare treat, not a main part of their diet (and I still like Skippy best for me, left over from my childhood). The girls (Tenaya and Willow) do fine with it. We add other (solid) treats mixed in with the peanut butter (kibble, dried liver, bits of cheese or Roll-Over) as added little surprises in the Kongs.

if we were ideal dog parents, we'd just use the Adams peanut butter my husband loves :rolleyes: and vegetable bits for the solid surprises...

I don't know about other nuts. I would do a search on Google to see if there are problems with nuts and dogs, if I wanted to use others.

Deanna in OR

You have stuff that is similar to veggiemite (sp)? That stuff is very salty. It would not be good for a dog.

Our peanut butter is yummy, yummy. Instead of peanut butter (your version), try plain yogurt, stuff the kong, put in freezer overnight, and give to dog... my dogs love this but get it very rarely.

I am not sure about the other tyoes of nuts so I would suggest calling your vet. They should know.