BC Boards

Blilous Vomiting Syndrome

2 Devils

The vets have officially diagnosed Charlotte with bilious vomiting syndrome.

She has been on antacids to try and stop the acid buildup. It is not working any longer so now I have to switch foods or add fiber to her food.

I feed canidae but the vets think it is not staying in her stomach long enough and is causing her to vomit the bile.

Vets suggested either adding fiber like oatmeal or sweet potato or change her food all together.

Has anyone tried the Proplan extra care for sensitive skin and stomachs (or something like that)? The vets are recommending it but he is not really all that partial since he used to work for Pro Plan. He does say that they use human grade meats and such.

Any information would be much appreciated...

I have never fed that particular version of ProPlan, but I used to feed ProPlan turkey & barley all the time and had no problems with it. It's worth a try. Although people recommend Canidae (and I am actually using it) the idea of meal and what that entails makes me wonder. I believe that ProPlan doesn't use meals or by-products.

J.

Julie:

Thought you might be interested in a definition of "meal". This is from Natura's website (makers of Innova, California Natural, etc) and is how they define chicken meal:

"Chicken meal is the dry rendered (cooked down) product from a combination of clean flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone, derived from the parts of whole carcasses of chicken -- exclusive of feathers, heads, feet, or entrails. Chicken meal is considered to be the single best source of protein in commercial pet foods."

ProPlan does use meal (although it's usually not their #1 ingredient) and actually their chicken and rice formula uses a "by-product meal" (I think it was chicken, can't remember exactly).

I use this food comparison tool from natura's website all the time:

http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=comp-wiz

Betsy

Hi Betsy,

I understand that meal is just ground product, but I had read somewhere that it's not as good as the whole animal, so to speak (that is, turkey is better thanturkey meal). I suppose the rendering process that creates the meal may produce by products that aren't as desirable. Ingredient lists containing by-products (not to be confused with the term used above in which rendering creates byproducts) are even worse as they can contain beaks, feathers, etc. (for chickens anyway) that I don't see as having any real nutritional value. I don't have time to look up the information on the web, but first choice should be whole meats, followed by meal, with by-products as a last resort.

Kim,

Purina makes veterinary diets too, and probably has one suitable for dogs with sensitive stomachs (EN or something like that). I have had good luck with these veterinary diets (granted, mainly for urinary tract issues), so that may be worth a try as well.

J.

Thanks guys.

I think I am going to try and put Charlotte back on Mother Hubbard (Fish and Sweet Potato) and see if that helps. It has 4% fiber and the vets think that might be enough fiber to stay in her system longer.

If she wasn't such a cute dog, I would trade her in on a newer model

I've used PP SS & D for a little over a year now. I have one male who is prone to Colitis. After having him on Solid Gold, Mother Hubbard, Back To Basics, etc...I tried the Pro Plan Sensative Skin & Digestion. No complaints here, no Colitis either for the past year.

Karen