BC Boards

teething discomfort

Smitten4Kim

Thanks Julie. We have lots of teething toys for her, but I was thinking along the lines of Tylenol, aspirin, etc...I couldn't remember which was ok'd for dogs. Poor lil thing is just miserable & I thought maybe something in the way of an analgesic might help her to feel better. She is enjoying having her gums massaged, and I',m putting a wet wash cloth in the freezer now.

Personally, I would avoid medication if I could. I've never heard of a puppy needing medication for teething. Someone else here might have suggestions.

With Tess, she never seemed to feel any pain. She was just a bit irritated when her tug toy slid right out of her mouth or she dropped one of her squeaky toys because one of the teeth she was using to grip it came out.

I suggest giving your puppy ice cubes! You can also make frozen cubes of beef or veggie broth or watered-down juice and ground up banana or whatever... Anything dog-safe, that she would like to chew up or lick, that is frozen, will help numb her gums a bit. Or maybe put slices of apple into the freezer... Or maybe freeze some yogurt or mix it with something and freeze it into cubes... I think the goal would be to get your puppy interested in whatever it is... So flavor would be important. And the sooner the teeth come out, the sooner she'll be a happy camper again. :D

They make those freezable chew things for puppies... Tess was not interested in chewing them. She batted them around the floor, barking at them. :rolleyes: Maybe Tess just has a high tolerance to pain. :D

Allie & Tess