BC Boards

eye infection

CaelinTess

Poor Tess. She woke up this morning with greenish goop and red eyes. I figured I'd give it today and if it wasn't improved by this evening, we'd go to the doggy hospital. I called tonight to leave a message for an appointment (they'll call me back tomorrow). I feel bad for her. She looks like she feels fine, though. Eating, drinking, playing, and her usual cheerful self.

Do we end up with drops for this, or pills? I am hoping for drops. Drops are easier. I wonder how she got it. I suspect at the dog park. :rolleyes: I wish I had a big yard to play in, but I don't so we go there...

Allie & Tess

I usually send eye ointments (which, in my hands, stay in the eye longer and are usually less sting-y) unless I have a reason to believe there's systemic involvement (ie, disease affecting the body elsewhere than just the eyes alone, but showing eye symptoms).

One caution for you: Some of these are transmissable to people, so wash your hands with soap and water after touching her eyes.

One caution for her: If she isn't getting better within two to three days or if she seems seems worse at any time (whether or not she got better initially), never hesitate to get a recheck sooner rather than later on eye things. Rarely, an eye infection can be agressive enough to perforate the cornea. I emphasise RARELY, but in those few cases it's way better to err to the side of caution. I always tell prople I'd rather re-check and not need to than need to and not re-check, especially on eye stuff.

Hope it turns out to be minor!

Thanks, AK Dog Doc. Tess has an appointment tomorrow in the late afternoon at her regular vet. She seems the same this morning, though a bit less goop in her eyes. She is otherwise her normal self, playing, eating normally, drinking water, trying to pounce on the cat, etc. :rolleyes: There is a walk-in clinic nearby and if I see any signs of worsening, we will zip down there. I just prefer she see her regular vet who knows her.

I have been washing my hands a lot, wondering if this is something that I could catch, too--it doesn't hurt to be careful.

Once my vet has seen Tess and has given us something for it, I will ask how long it should take to see an improvement. I can do eye ointment. Pills are such a struggle, mostly because she is trying to attack me to get to the cream cheese. :D

I had to put eye ointment in my horse's eye once every day for a week and he was not at all pleased about that, but it was easier than trying to convince him to take a pill ("Of course that's a normal carrot! I would never give you a trick carrot!").

Allie & Tess

Ahhh yes the eye infection stuff. Charlotte is just getting over eye infections in both eyes. It started one eye and then went into the other 2 days later. The vets always give us eye ointment and we have never had a problem. Both eyes cleared up within 5 days of treatment.

I recommend wiping her eyes with a warm cotton ball to help get rid of the goop, that is if your dog will let you.

All my dogs love having their eyes rubbed so it is easy for me.

I've been using a warm, damp paper towel. (: Tess loves having her nose rubbed, so I do that while I clean the stuff off near her eyes.

We tried to go to the walk-in clinic today, but it was packed in there. Her eyes are lot less red this afternoon and almost no goop, so I figure it can wait until tomorrow. I got the address for the emergency clinic just in case, though.

Allie & Tess