BC Boards

bleeding gums

vph

My sister has three working BCs, 1 Rotty, 1 mutt and one Corgi. Her Rotty has come down with horribly bleeding gums. She has been treated for rat poison, ehrlichiosis, VonWillebrand disease, leptosporosis (vaccinated but checked anyway). Platelets are dangerously low today and she is in the process of getting a transfusion. The weather has stopped us from being able to get her to an ultrasound machine until tomorrow. She is not

lethargic at all. Eats and drinks just fine. No fever. Slight traces of blood in stool -- but could be from swallowing blood from mouth. Red

blood cells are low.

This has perplexed our three vets, a holistic vet,

and two internists.

My thoughts off the top of my head would be immune-mediated thrombocytopenia (the immune system is attacking the platelets), excessive use of platelets from bleeding elsewhere (many causes), or failure in the bone marrow (where the platelets are made in the first place). Can't go into more detail now, on call and have to get off the 'net - and after further testing you may have an answer anyway, but if not those are some thoughts to maybe consider.