BC Boards

Light/Shadow Fixation

Hey learned folks... I know this topic has been discussed before, but I haven't been able to come up with the magic combo of key words in the search field to find the older topics where it was addressed.  My foster Toby is fixating on lights/shadows/reflections.  This happens in very particular places in my home, as well as when light "dances" e.g. car headlights on the window shades. He'll see his own shadow while walking along the hallway against the wall and will sit transfixed, watching it.  I re-direct his attention, cover the area with cloth or newspaper (something less apt to reflect) have even gated him out of the areas where this tends to happen most.  I'm wondering if psychotropic meds in combo w/behavior modification is the correct route.  Unfortunately, I never heard back from the vet who did the neuter on him, despite having made a point of requesting this issue be discussed when I made the appt, when I dropped him off and when I picked him up.   So, anyone here with experience/success in limiting or eliminating this behavior?  I don't think I'll be using ceiling fans until after he's been adopted <sigh>.   

• 2 weeks later...

Toby saw the vet today regarding his OCD behaviors. The vet and the vet tech who saw us both have BC's.  We are going to try Trazadone to address his anxiety, at least until his new scrip for fluoxetine starts to kick in--at 2-3 weeks. He does occasionally display this shadow fixation behavior outdoors, but fairly minimally. It really takes over whenever he is indoors.  I've also noticed he is also very flinchy often when I touch his head to stroke him. I have no reason to believe he was physically mistreated in any way in his former home. He displayed great affection for his "dad" and was calm and attentive to him. I think this is all part of his hyper-sensitivity to stimuli.

WRT to the fly noise fixation post from Diane...Toby also flees out the dog door anytime I turn on the microwave. Now he does it when he hears me even open the microwave door.  Just to be clear, he does not display any other form of anxiety or stress here at home, nor while out for a walk or hike on the trail or while engaged in any pleasurable activity.   When there is a lot of activity or people, really any abundance of stimuli in general in public spaces, he becomes overwhelmed, trembles and tries to flee.   I have been using a pressure/release approach.  A bit of exposure to the anxiety producing situation immediately followed by a walk down a quiet street where he is relaxed and engaged in the activity. Always leaving on a good note.  On the progress side...he is much more comfortable travelling in the vehicle now, and no longer attempts to lunge toward cars on our walks.  I ask him to sit and wait whenever a car passes us while walking in the neighborhood and he willingly complies.  <Sigh>--I had no idea he would be such a project when I took him on, but even knowing what I now know, I wouldn't have done any differently.  He really does want to please, and is such a dear boy. This photo was taken while he was fixated.  

tfix.jpg

I asked the vet to do blood work on Toby at our appt.  In addition to the OCD behavior, he also exhibits rear leg tremors at times. I've seen this in senior dogs but given that he's only just turned one, it was worrisome. I suspected TBD or Valley Fever. He came back positive for VF, fortunately with low titers, which likely means it was caught early.  The vet says because of the neuro effects VF can produce, it's possible it is a contributing factor in his OCD  as well.  He'll start a 90 day course of fluconazole and then re-test. Hopefully this will resolve most of the issues I'm seeing and the psychotropic meds will become superfluous. 

I'm somewhat familiar w/VF, but haven't had any personal experience.  It's mostly found in dogs from lower elevations in the state, especially Phx area.  It is not yet endemic to the mountains where I live, but it is making it's way, as I understand it. Has anyone else here dealt w/VF in their dog?  Care to share your experience, if so?