BC Boards

CEA test

Debbie

There?s a fellow at the University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia doing research on both Collie Eye Anomaly and Ceroid Lipofuscinosis in an effort to develop a screening test. I think both are still a ways off. My little girl has mild CEA, and in response to a request in a BC newsletter, I sent some of her blood off to him earlier in the year. He?s trying to collect as wide a range of samples as possible. (Incidentally, both of Kirra?s parents had tested clear, but were obviously carriers ? lucky I wasn?t wanting to breed from her, and lucky her breeder did eye tests.)

From the data we have, it appears the percentage of go-normals within the CEA affected percentage of 2-3% is very low. Like maybe less than 6% of the 2-3% affecteds are go normals. In other words, there are actually very few go normals. Greg Acland thinks the percentage of go normals within the affected poplation in border collies is a lot less than in regular collies.

Denise