BC Boards

Arthritis on a 14 year old

Craig87

Hi,

I searched but didn't find anything, so please forgive me if this has been covered.

My border collie just had her 14th birthday on Feb 14th. Now that she is getting on in years, I have noticed she is showing some symptoms of mild arthritis. The vet also noted that she has extremely mild Hip displaysia as well. She recomended against surgery at her age.

The vet recomended a few different drugs that I could try to help with my dog's arthritis. She was not very enthusiastic about any of them and said they all had side affects. Since the arthritis seems to be mild (mostly in the morning and, of course, going up stairs) I am not wild about pumping her full of drugs.

Are there perferred medications for the Border Collie crowd? I have heard half an asprin from a time to time.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Originally posted by Craig87:

[QB] Hi,

My border collie just had her 14th birthday on Feb 14th. Now that she is getting on in years, I have noticed she is showing some symptoms of mild arthritis.

The vet recomended a few different drugs that I could try to help with my dog's arthritis. She was not very enthusiastic about any of them and said they all had side affects.

THere are lots of things to choose from out there - first all, most dogs like yours are put on a chondrointin supplement, MSM is also good, boswellia. There are also things such as Athriease, etc. that are very good, and are an holistic approaches to dealing with arthritis.

If you join some of the alternative health boards you will get a lot of suggestions to choose from, as to what works - this can be quite specific for each dog.

Guest totallyterry2003

I have some geriatric border collies. Two that are 15, one that is 11 and one that is 9. The 9 and 11 year old are still trialing and working at home. The 15 year old and the 11 year old have arthritus.

None of them are on remidyl (my spell check does not work) because it is too hard on the kidneys.

Three of the four dogs are on cosequin. They get 1000 mg. daily. They initially started at 1500mg. per the sport's vet. I had them all on glucosimine chondrotin (darn spell check), it is supposed to be the same thing and a whole bunch cheaper. After about 6 months, I saw no improvement from the generic over-the counter stuff.

I swithed to cosequin. It is also the only drug per my vet (and a border collie owner) that has had extensive testing. Guess what, in the last 6 months there has been a dramatic improvement. My friends can testify to it. It is not a harsh drug.

Also, if it is a large strenuous trial course, I give my 11 year old a etogesic tablet....the day before I run him, the days that I run him and the day after. It doesn't make him a young dog again (sob) and he now slices flanks and does other old stuff but he's happy doing what he was born, bred and loves to do.

Sorry about the med spelling but I am too lazy to get up and read the bottles for the right spelling.

I found that the tablet or other dry forms of chondroitin/glucosamine were not nearly as effective as the liquid forms, like canine arthraflx and a couple others. Look for them in jefferspet.com or kvvet.com.

My oldster is on rimadyl now. It's either that or put him down, as his athritis is that severe now, due to some old injuries bothering him. He goes in every three months for a panel, which so far looks great - and meanwhile he's spry enough to bring in the sheep for me every so often.

Not an expert, but with my previous old bitch, using glucosamine/chondroitin type supplements definitely seemed to maintain mbility longer, and let us delay using NSAIDs. Cartophen (?sp) injections - about 3 monthly - also seemed to help a bit, even with an old dog. When she finally got on to pain meds, it was Metacam as first choice, and then Rimadyl (her blood panel was fine for kidneys) when the Metacam lost its effect. my vet seemed to feel that dogs tend to respond differently, so you try various things to see what fits your own dog best.