BC Boards

Know anything about Cut-Heal?

diane allen

I just mail-ordered some stuff supposed to be good for sore or cracked pads, and to toughen soft pads; its primarily designed for working (whatever that means) or hunting dogs.

Name of product is Cut Heal; the company is Cut Heal Animal Care, out of Texas. Their web site (www.cut-heal.com) is "under construction." My concern is the list of ingredients:

* Ray linseed oil

* Spirits of turpentine

* Pure menhaden oil

* Balsam of fir

* Beeswax

* Oil of vitrol

Wow. Two solvents (what is the "ray" in linseed oil?), one perhaps suitable oil, whatever "balsam of fir" is (if they mean balsam fir, and I hope so, one web site said about it "The resin obtained from the Balsam Fir ...is a very effective antiseptic and healing agent. It is used as a healing and analgesic protective covering for burns, bruises, wounds and sores."), oil of vitrol (another web site quote, "Oil of Vitrol is a substance that is more corrosive than battery acid." and the FEMA site says its a synonym for sulphuric acid!). AND the substance label says for external use only; meaning (from another direction) not to be consumed as well as use outdoors due to possibility of staining carpet.

Would anyone in their right mind use this on a dog's feet?!??! How can they sell it as a "curing" agent??

Just curious if anyone has any reaction before I call the company and start asking really nasty questions.....

diane

p.s.: I secured the bottle on the top shelf of a closed closet; the dogs will not get near it!

The original Cut-Heal product is a pretty old remedy for horses- it has a counter irritant (turpentine) in it to promote blood flow to the injury and speed healing, and it also usually has a corrosive to help prevent the granulation tissue build up horses experience on their lower legs sometimes (Proud flesh). I've never used it on dogs and have no idea if they market another item for dog's pads or not or they have kept the original formula unchanged.

Thanks Terry, for the info. The product I got was sold as a dog product, but haven't any idea if the formula was changed. Guess it makes sense as a horse application, but my biggest concerns were the toxicity of absorption through the pads, and the possibility of dogs licking it.

I'll keep looking for more info.....

diane