BC Boards

My reactive dog -

She turns 5 next month.  

When she was a year old she couldn't hack walking down the street and seeing a piece of garbage blowing in the wind, much less classes.

When she was 18 months she was freaking out at things at HOME, so she went on meds, took a couple of months off and we started over at 'take a walk'.

When she was 2, she was able to attend some agility club things (outside but in a group)

When she was almost 3 she started trialing - with lots and lots of management..

Today?  Lots of agility titles, but more importantly:

That's her. In a public park, playing with one of my friends.  She doesn't know those other two dogs or people at all.  There's a bus driving by.  There is a BIRTHDAY PARTY setting up. 

It wasn't fast, but my god I don't have a single regret  - not about the path we took, not about where we are.   The journey isn't over - and I'm excited to see where we wind up.  Patience pays off.

Oh, she was never entirely right in the head.  She could have passed for normal, if somewhat shy, as a young puppy but by 4 or so months old she was losing her crap at the vet - big time - and got steadily worse from there until she was put on an SSRI.

2 hours ago, D'Elle said:

Thanks for such an encouraging post. I have no doubt it will help others who can't yet see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I hope so.  This is kind of a brag, but the primary purpose of the post is just that.  

I remember, so clearly, being kind of frantic and trying to work out what to do and where we were trying to go/what the future looked like and I found about four billion other people having issues, and a whole bunch of half joking 'we walk at 3 a.m and dive into the bushes' accounts, but almost nothing about dogs who actually got BETTER.   Like - not even normal but dogs just... happy and living life. 

So, I try to put it out there in hopes that it gives someone a little encouragement that there is an 'on the other side', at least sometimes.   It might not be a totally normal dog by lab standards, but 'dog happy living life and being in the world doing dog things' is certainly within the realm of possible.