BC Boards

In the zone

I have a very specific question. We have a ten minute stretch of road to get from house to trail that has cars passing every few minutes. It used to stress Merlin out but now he gets in the zone and the instant he sees a car he lies down until it passes. He’s also less stressed on this walk than he used to be when younger. This is all positive.

My issue is that for this ten minutes he won’t loose leash walk although he tries. He’s not badly pulling but just so focused looking ahead, spotting cars the instant they come into view (and then going straight into a down) that i do feel the pressure on my arm. If I say ‘steady’ he knows to slow and looks at me but as soon as I say ‘walk on’ he’s back in the zone. 

I am sure there’s a solution and i’m Happy to teach him an alternate but I can’t wrap my head around the right approach to take. 

Thoughts? 

Merlin is nearly ten months. 

I think I would just keep repeating the "steady" cue each time he pulls ahead until he gets the idea that he has to walk more slowly and nicely. It does sounds as though he is trying and you are doing well with him; maybe just this much of a reminder would work. Use a really nice calm but cheerful tone of voice (which you are probably already doing).

3 hours ago, D'Elle said:

I think I would just keep repeating the "steady" cue each time he pulls ahead until he gets the idea that he has to walk more slowly and nicely. It does sounds as though he is trying and you are doing well with him; maybe just this much of a reminder would work. Use a really nice calm but cheerful tone of voice (which you are probably already doing).

Thank you!