BC Boards

Walky Dog Plus

http://www.amazon.com/Walky-Dog-Exerciser-strength-Paracord/dp/B003OYIAW4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A6UA4NC1RXBMR

Didn't know this existed but someone on my NextDoor digest was giving one away. Anyone ever use something like this? I recently was given two $300 REI gift cards from my work and I used it all to buy a bike. But me and my BC are so accustom to long walks I've barely used it.

Sometimes I don't feel like a walk but am obligated to get the dog out for exercise since he has an endless supply of energy. And having jobs, he's home alone most of the day, four or five days a week. This would give my dog and I time together with the bike when a short time frame is need for our exercise.

I haven't seen these in action but I've heard of them, and they sound like a great idea! Apparently being attached to the rear of the bike means it's a lot harder for your dog to pull the bike over or get in the way. I think I've maybe even seen something that attaches to the wheel or axle? Or maybe not. But anyhow, I've seen people say that they feel these gizmos are one of the safest ways to take a dog biking. If I had a bike - and a place to ride one! - I'd consider getting this or something like it. :)

~ Gloria

I keep looking at things like this and going "Oh yeah my young strong dog would adore this, might mean I can do walks shorter than four hours." Then I remember she's now 14 and we sometimes have to cut short our half hour rambles when she falls over.

I've seen people riding through our neighborhood with these. Since we haven't quite mastered loose-leash walking and not lunging at other dogs (although we no longer lunge at ALL other dogs, just some), I can't picture us doing this without me ending up on the ground. If I thought we could make it work, I'd definitely try it.

I have a WalkyDog original and love it. If my 50 lb BC yanked on the bike (squirrel!), all I felt is a slight shudder. There is some training involved in getting them to run safely next to the bike, but generally they adapt quickly. Thankfully big boy only took a few weeks to learn to just run and not try to chase.

I use one. it is a good tool. it helps absorbing side pull and as I'm quite light weight it did save me several times, particularly at the beginning of training, when Spillo was quite excitable close to moving things (he still is, but with much better behavior).

as others already said, it still requires some training, but it is much safer than holding a leash when on a bike.

in the pic of my profile Spillo is actually riding with me with the walky dog. :)

Thanks for the input everyone. I think the device that clips just below the seat might better support my weight better than clipping it near the rear wheel. My BC is a lean 53lbs and can pull with the best of them but I reckon, like everything with my Tsunami Sammy, there will be some trial and error :)