BC Boards

Fitbit for dogs

gcv-border

Pippin is part of a study about arthritis and she's been wearing one for about two months now. I wasn't supposed to be able to see the data but I could for about three weeks. It was pretty interesting for sure. I keep wondering what it would look like on one of the working dogs! It is a big item and it flashes a very bright green light all the time, which is less than ideal if your dog sleeps in the same room as you do. Voyce said it was ok to cover it with duct tape lol. You get an email message if you don't notice it needs recharging, I doubt I'd pay for the service but it's interesting in the same way the people trackers are. Pip (age 12) "rests" 21 hours a day.....I'm supposed to be able to see the data again in a couple of months and am looking forward to the overall trends.

I have the fitbark for dogs: http://store.fitbark.com/collections/all-products/products/fitbark-dog-activity-monitor-green?variant=3919982533.

it probably doesn't give you quite as much info as the one the OP mentioned (haven't read all of it yet) but it does give you info immediately and is fun to use.

It would be interesting using something like this to get a baseline normal for the dogs.

I can't see myself subscribing to a service - because money and information overload. But using something for a few weeks to get a baseline? And then in working situations to compare? That would be interesting.

I agree this technology would be interesting to use, not only for the examples suggested by Maralynn above, but also out of curiousity to compare a human and a free-ranging dog on a hike, both wearing 'Fitbits'.

One of these days I want to strap my fitbit on one of the dogs for one of our walks. Just to see how steps and distance compare.