BC Boards

PLEASE HELP!!

I have a 2 1/2 year old bc. He is the sweetest, smartest, most adorable dog I have ever owned. I have one major problem- every morning before I go to work I let all four dogs outside to put them in their pen for the day. Everybody goes in just fine. The problem: Ace (the bc) heards the other three ferociously into the pen, then comes to put me in too!!! He growls, nips, snarls... etc. This is the ONLY time he displays this behavior towards me. I try walking him out on a leash, which makes him mad and he trys to bite my hand. I tried distracting him with a stick, I tried tossing him treats along the way to reward NOT hearding me, I've tried the not so humane way of swatting the living daylights out of his butt, which makes him even more angry, and I can't even get a good whoopin in cause he's SO fast. Again, this is the ONLY time he acts this way towards me, the rest of the time he is perfect. WHAT DO I DO???

If you can't put him on a leash and make him behave himself with the other dogs loose on the way to the pen, try putting the other dogs in the pen, then going back to the house and getting the problem child, putting him on leash and making him behave himself on the way back to the pen. Take some of the excitement away from the situation to make it easier for him.

We have a similar problem with one of ours --not towards us but to certain individuals of our other dogs. She stalks, bites and snaps at the other dogs as they get turned out into our field. For us it's simply a management issue. I let the others out, then go get her. For us she's only a monster if she's at the gate ahead of the other dogs. If they're already out there, she doesn't do it.

One thing to consider that might help is to be sure he gets plenty of regular exercise.

Renee

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried putting him in first before I let the other dogs out- same result, although LESS ferocious. What is a Gentle Lead? Excercise he gets lots of- they all go with when I go trail riding on horseback. I wish I knew what he was thinking, I don't know if he's just too "work" oriented, and doesnt understand that I DON'T GO IN THE PEN!! He heards EVERYTHING- (on his own, he's not a trained work dog, just my pet) sheep, cows, horses, people, dirt bikes, (not cars, thank goodness) Does this dog just need a job??

BClover,

Because he is exhibiting this behavior towards you, it sounds like you have a respect issue as well. Do a search for "Nothing in Life is Free" and implement that technique into his life. Essentially, he learns that he has to work for everything and that the dog gets what he wants when he gives you what you want. Meanwhile, management is critical. The behavior is self-rewarding so allowing him to continue will just make it more difficult to break. Also, you don't want him to learn that he can nip at you and then avoid you.

Lisa