BC Boards

can't stand AKC...but....

it is often the only forum for obedience in town! How do those that abhor the ACK system justify competing in it, even with ILP or spayed/neutered performance Border Collies?

Agility has some great alternatives (love USDAA) but what about obedience?

I know someone who put some advanced titles on her mixed breed (therefore was forced to go the UKC route). She's not the only one who competes in formal obedience with a mixed breed - though lately flyball and agility have given these folks a more fun (in my mind) outlet for competing with their dogs.

But I understand some people just love obedience. I've always thought it would be cool if the Border Collie club would sponsor non-ACK obedience (with only spayed and neutered dogs eligible for BCC titles, of course).

We don't compete. I do agility in other venues instead. I have had a fleeting thought for Shutzhund at the lower levels and I know that some BCs could do it but you have to have a very temperamentally steady dog and for one reason or another I've crossed off my BCs for that training. Delta would never have the nerve to compete in close quarters with other humans and Buffy might like the "gripping the human" part too much.

I know "other breeds" can compete and title in ASCA (Australian Shepherd Club of America) obedience events, but aren't eligible for their big year end awards (only open to Aussies). The ASCA obedience levels/titles are similar to UKC/AKC titles, in fact may be the same as UKC. I've never done it, but apparently some ASCA obedience trials are also UKC trials, and some NADAC agility trials are also ASCA agility trials...so you can earn legs in 2 venues at once - not sure how that works though...

here's a form to fill out that registers your non-Aussie for performance events.

http://www.asca.org/Forms/trackapp.pdf

Originally posted by Annette Carter & the Borderbratz:

I have had a fleeting thought for Shutzhund at the lower levels and I know that some BCs could do it but you have to have a very temperamentally steady dog

*puts on flame-resistant jacket*

Don't disregard it till you try it. There are tougher things to attempt with a border collie than Schutzhund- style bitework, and if done properly it is an enormous confidence boost. :rolleyes:

Very good points about the agility and sheepherding! While I do love doing everything I can with my girl, I admit that there's nothing that I enjoy MORE than taking her to the farm to do what she was born to do.

The thing about Schutzhund is that, when you get down to it, it is simply that- another sport you can do with your dog. (I am not saying it's right or wrong, that's just what it is.) A certain level of confidence/nerve in the dog is definitely needed but the dogs are not being trained to bite people. They bite the equipment. The decoys/helpers are not the dogs' adversaries, they are more like sparring partners. A large percentage of dogs on a Schutzhund trial field would never dream of acting like that in real life. They've been trained to put on an impressive show, and to love to bite the arm sleeve.

Like Barra, for example- she is French Ring trained (retired now.) She is naturally protective and will bark ferociously if given the command to do so. But that's it. I don't believe she would go really civil on anyone, but shake a bamboo clatter stick and have someone in a bite suit run by, and she goes nutty.

Sorry Annette (and everyone,) I'm goin' a wee bit OT, I realize that this thread was actually about obedience! It probably sounds like I am getting a bit defensive and I apologize. I have just had more than a few discussions with people who are horrified to learn that I've done "attack" training with my dog and I feel the need to clarify when I can.

In Canada, BC's can compete in obedience under NAMBR (North American Mixed Breed Registry). I thought NAMBR was in the US as well. The titles are exactly the same as the CKC (Canadian Kennel Club...which THANKFULLY DOES NOT recognize BC's)

Their website is

http://www.nambr.cardoso.ca/index.php

If it's not in the US...maybe you could start a chapter