BC Boards

Arthritis Meds?

Riika

Where do you get your arthritis meds from? I've been looking around and the cheapest I can find equals $60 a month for my 50 pound dog. Is there anything cheaper? I guess I'll do what I have to do, but that is a lot of money for me! Especially since I'm still in school and don't have a job.

I wish I could find something thing in bulk for cheaper and if it stores just keep it or otherwise split it up with somebody.....

I got mine from the vet and then ordered them from amazon--however, I have also done, at the direction of my vet, the following--get powdered glucomsamine used for horses in a feed store--like Tractor supply. Sprinkle several tablespoons on top of their food and/or mix it in. I had my doubts, but my then-aging malamute responded beautifully within a few weeks. The change in his gait was visible, he was pretty pain free from his arthritis until he really was near the end. I have a 6 year old BC now and I am going to go try and hunt the powder down as I do not relish trying to get my little picky eater to down a pill.

I got mine from the vet and then ordered them from amazon--however, I have also done, at the direction of my vet, the following--get powdered glucomsamine used for horses in a feed store--like Tractor supply. Sprinkle several tablespoons on top of their food and/or mix it in. I had my doubts, but my then-aging malamute responded beautifully within a few weeks. The change in his gait was visible, he was pretty pain free from his arthritis until he really was near the end. I have a 6 year old BC now and I am going to go try and hunt the powder down as I do not relish trying to get my little picky eater to down a pill.

Thanks! That looks much cheaper! I'll ask my vet about that. Do you know if the horse supplements containing not only glucosamine but chondroitin and MSM as well are safe for dogs?

I ran to town and got a jug of the horse supplement and then went to my vet and asked her about it. She said it'd be safe to use and to let me know how good it works. She said to give a tenth of the horse dose-1000 mgs of glucosamine is what it comes out to. I forget the MSM and chondroitin values.

The bottle says it will last for 60 days. So at one-tenth, it will last for 600 days! And for the cost of $68.90 Much better than my original figures!