BC Boards

winter exercise & daily activities to "work" my dog

Ok well I know that a border collie needs to have exercise and to keep them interested and happy so that they don't become destructive or unruly. What exercises would you all suggest in the winter when there is so much snow outside or the temps are below zero?

What are some possible daily activities I can teach my dog ("work") so that he will be happy and non destructive? Opening doors? Dancing? This dog will not be a dog that will be "working" it will be a family pet. That's why I put "work" my dog with "work" in quotes becuase he will not be working to get stuff done like herding sheep or cattle he will just be a family pet to love and be around and possibly "show off" to family and friends what he can do.

Can't wait to hear everyone's advice! :D

Tricks.

One of the Do More With Your Dog books is called 10 Minute Training Games. Some are super simple, some are more difficult, but they are great winter indoor activities that could easily keep your dog's mind and body busy in these cold months.

Some you can even take outside in the summer.

Even if you are someone who is insulted by the idea of training tricks, a lot of these games are just that - games, and many are actually fun ways to train basic and useful skills. And some are fun tricks, if you aren't bothered by that.

My favorite right now is "hide the toy". It's a fun game for Archer and I also get to work on sit-stays while doing it. I sit him in one room then hide a toy (usually a tug toy or ball, I show it to him first, maybe play real quick so he knows what to look for). Then I go back to him and release him with a "Find ___" where the blank is whatever name I have decided to give the toy. Start simple so the dog understands the game, but you can then make it harder and basically keep him occupied with searching for longer. I've started doing mean stuff like hiding the toy between my mattress and box frame, only leaving a small corner sticking out so Archer can grab it. Once Archer brings the toy back he gets rewarded with some play.

I also agree with trick training, great way to entertain a BC.

Oh I'm definitely not bothered by tricks that's something I look forward to with my border collie. I can't WAIT to be able to train a dog tricks! Like I said I want to "show off" to my friends and family what my dog can do!! The dog's mind and body will be busy which will make him happy and I will look cool with a dog who can do tricks.

Thanks guys!

-Tricks -yes!

- Find-It (make harder by requesting different objects by name, after training those of course)

- dance routines made by stringing together sequences of other simple "tricks;" spin, heel, weave, bow, twirl, roll over, repeat

- muffin tin, fill with tennis balls, hide treat under (all at first, then just one) Find It! (dog gets treat if he picks up correct ball first)

- unwrapping a favorite toy: start with a towel, make it harder by wrapping in large sheet/blanket (my older dogs went crazy for this and had very different unique styles of "solving" the problem

- if temps aren't too cold: snow soccer: I used an old, partially deflated basketball- dog(s) could grip it, but also it was bouncy. They pushed it through the snow in a frenzy of fun, and rolled it to me to kick.

Have fun!

I have a really high drive Border and I dread these days when we can't hike and/or do obedience training outside. But, every winter I teach him at least one new trick. Spin (clockwise) Twirl (counterclockwise), weave forward, last year I taught him to weave backwards. This year is the army crawl.

My favorite is a game that I play with both dogs. I have a small empty margarine tub with holes in the lid. I put a couple tiny treats in it. Then I have both dogs do a sit/stay in the kitchen with their backs to me. I hide the tub in the living room. I started out with simple hiding places, then as they caught on to the game, more complicated. Then I go back to the dogs and give them their release word and whichever dog finds the tub first gets the treat. It's hysterical!!! Logan tries to cheat on his sit/stay to see where I am headed. He will search all the areas where I last hid it, then he looks at me, spins in circles and barks. Ziva looks in all the places where SHE likes to hide things. Then she'll use her nose to do a search of the entire room. If Logan finds it first, he gets the lid off himself and eats the treats. My cat has entered into the game also. If she finds the tub first she smacks it with her paw and meows at me to give her the treat!

Just this past weekend, Callie decided that she loves to dig in the deep snow and make homes for her toys. She kept stealing the duck we were throwing for her and instead of bringing it back, she'd make a hole and put him in! Strangely enough, she's never shown interest in digging in the dirt.

I don't know if it would cause problems to encourage a dog to dig a hole and put something in it during the winter and not have that behavior carry over during warmer weather to destroy a nicely landscaped yard.

You could also try skijoring or something that requires pulling. I keep reading about how dogs love it and it's awesome exercise for the owners too. I think Callie is too small for it, but I've debated hooking my youngest sibling up to her on a sled and letting them play (they're the same size and weight).

My dogs just love to go outside even if it is really cold. Doesn't even seem to phase them. But I make them come in to get warm. Their feet get cold and they get ice between their toes and that does bother them. Soon as they get warmed up they want to go right back out.

I've noticed that they get hot at night now even with the thermostat set at 65. They go and lay on the wood floor. Their coats must be pretty warm at this point. I can hardly wait until all that hair starts to shed out.