BC Boards

Potential Agility

First let me say I've never done agility and never had a dog who seemed primed for it before. But I'm willing it that is his natural gift so to speak. Maggie was a natural herder. Tuck wasn't a herder but he could only do a few stairs ( they seemed to bother him).

Sam has mastered steps both going up and down them( 2 story house here). Seems to love jumping( more like springing... I swear he is wearing springs on his feet.) He is bringing the ball back 75% of the time when you throw it ( more like roll it). He has to see you do it and see it move at this time or he keeps lookin at your hand with the look of ok anytime now. He likes his pull toys too. Basically, shows no fear. You pick him up he will be still for a while then if you are not careful he will attempt to jump from your arms ( I'm used to the cat so not a problem but I refuse to let him for obvious reasons.).

So now for my question. Does he sound like he would be a good candidate for agility? Keep in mind he will be 3 months old on the 16th. If good candidate for agility, what are things I need to watch for? anything special... I know don't make him run till he gets older...due to his bones..I watch his going up and down the wooden stairs.. He comes down like a with kangeroo hops ( looks that way from the back). I have him on a good food or so I think... Nutro Natural for Puppies. I will be looking into obedience classes for him this month.. He goes for his second set of shots tomorrow... so feel he should be safe for that. He loves other dogs ( only been with dogs I know have had their shots and are healthy...can't say the same for my kids..lol snot nosed litte varmits). He knows sit, no, drop it ( weak on this one but working on it), stay ( coming along) and come ( this one is great so far). He is doing great on his leash and no problems with his collar ( aka no attempts at escape..just accepts the collar). One final note, I'm thinking of starting walking on the bike trail this summer with the kids( had planned that with Tuck but that was not to be)... any reason not too with Sam? Final note the stinker still gets car sick... no more wet nose and mouth just barfs once and then is fine... he should out grown it all together soon.... I hope. If not barf bucket will become a car staple.

Originally posted by karrie:

So now for my question. Does he sound like he would be a good candidate for agility?

To be perfectly honest, I think almost any dog is a good candidate for agility. Agility, unlike herding, is a sport that ALL dogs can play, regardless of size, breed, age, etc. Agility courses test you against a standard - if you make the standard, you get a qualifying score. And except at the very highest level of competition, that standard is do-able for any team.

If you were to look at my dogs, for example, I don't think either would be what a top handler would choose for their next agility star. Bear is too big, too slow, not drivey, and he started training when he was 3, so too old. Oh, and he was adopted from the SPCA, which, I was told by one instructor, would put us at a distinct disadvantage since the dog didn't bond with me as a pup.

Wicked is too shy, too spooky, too scared, too motion/sound sensitive, and again, she's a rescue (so clearly not bonded).

Bear has earned 16 agility titles, including Agility Trial Champion of Canada, has qualified for Nationals three consecutive years, and has placed at the one Nationals that he went to.

Wicked has earned 11 agility titles in 2 years of trialing, including her Masters Jumpers title that she got in three consectutive runs.

IOW, your little guy is the PERFECT candidate for an agility dog, because he's the dog at the end of your leash. Don't rush him into too much, let him be a happy, well-socialized little fella. Puppy kindergarten, play dates - way more important for a 3 month old tyke than ladder work and cavalettis!

Wow Bear! Guess, I'm just wondering if this is Sam's talent. Never had a pup who liked stairs before.. Maggie started herding early ( can't remember the exact age ) so thinking maybe this is Sam's thing. Course, he could go herding, his mama was herding him when I got him.

Originally posted by karrie:

Wow Bear! Guess, I'm just wondering if this is Sam's talent.

Sorry, didn't mean to toot my dogs' horns there, just wanted to point out that what's great about agility is that it's more about your relationship with your dog than your dog's natural talent. Sure, the zippy border collies kick butt, yet just about any team can achieve a reasonable level of success with patience, hard work, and a good sense of humour.

Having said that, getting your puppy used to agility-like challenges can't hurt. Stairs are excellent for promoting rear-end awareness, walking on uneven or moderately unstable surfaces will help you when you're training contacts, ball playing and tug are great activities to build/focus drive (and tire the little rotter out) and just generally teaching your dog that you are WAY more fun than any other distraction, like errant food, good smells, and other dogs ... well, that can't hurt either!

Have fun with Sam - he sounds wonderful!

Cool!...He loves the stairs ~ I just worry about him getting hurt. ( Plus unsupervised trips upstairs usually end in me having to go clean a carpet...) Thanks for the tips on what kinda games to play... recently took his leash and attached it to a teething ring toy and he loves chasing it ( makes a great inside game plus the kids love doing it with him too. And you are right wears him out. ). Maybe I'll just baby gate the upstairs rooms off to prevent the stinker from going up their to potty...

There's no way to tell agility potential at this age. That said, most any dog will do fine in agility at the level most people want to compete at, so there's really no potential to measure anyway. Just do your best to socialize your pup to strange dogs, people, settings, noises, etc... and work on building your training relationship through play. All of that will help you later on.

I knew he is too young to start but really wish I could tell him that... Smarty Pants Sam loves the stairs... and if I don't shut the door to the basement quick he starts eyeing those narrow things... IY yiiii. As I said before never had a pup who like stairs so just was wondering if this was a indiciation that agility was something he would REALLY enjoy ( kinda like some people are naturals with math and others born to do english). That said in meantime... Healthy foods, monitor the little dare devil, enjoy playtime with balls and tugs, let him socialize, allow him to check out wobbly surfaces while supervised and build our bond ( course, not necessarily in that order but all those things).

IMO, I don't think there's any correlation between stair climbing and future agility prowess. I have a 4 month old pup who ran over the full height Aframe on her own the first time she saw it at 3 months. Does she have potential? Sure, she's a dog afterall. Does she have what it takes to win at the highest levels? There's no way to tell yet. All it means is she has no fear of heights. she has since taken a full size teeter and dogwalk on her own...now she's not allowed near them for her own good BECAUSE she has no fear of heights.

-Laura