BC Boards

second puppy fear period

Kolt is now 8 m/o and he has decided that some things that he was previously fine with have become a bit weird and scary. Nothing major (he's still very ready to do stuff) but he is kinda on edge definitely weirded out by stuff he should be fine with. Am I right in assuming this is probably normal for this age? Any tips in dealing with this? And how long does it usually last?

I have no idea. Molly actually seemed to hit that somewhere around 24 weeks or so and is still working her way out of it. My matter of dealing is just to keep it positive and matter of fact. I'm not sure there's much else to do.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to find out any other information, though. Only one of my other dogs had a noticeable, distinct fear period and I don't remember much now, except that I didn't push it and handled it by doing things she loved around things/situation she didn't to help her build confidence. (Ie: Commands/tricks, getting treats and getting a lot of positive feedback).

Yup, normal. They get stupid at this age and often alarm bark, act suspicious and backslide some in their training. How long it lasts depends on the dog.

Most important rule is to protect your dog through this stage. Don't let people pet him if he doesn't want to be petted. Don't let other dogs be jerks to him or attack him. Don't put him in situations where he is in over his head. Really, just follow this advice.

Kiefer is doing some alarm barking right now and has been for the last 4-6 weeks. [He is 9 months old now.] He mostly alarm barks when he is at home - usually there is a weird sound or something. I don't think it helps that the other 2 dogs will join in? Does this reinforce/validate his barking?

He met some hunters on our weekend walk (big guys on ATVS), but only barked once or twice, then approached for a pet. but he had met them before so once they spoke to him, I think he recognized them.

Callie is 6 mo. and we're having the same thing happen! She alert barks and growls, particularly if there are unfamiliar cars parked near the house or something is out of place (my purse in the wrong spot). When she gets really scared of something harmless like a plastic bag on the counter, we make sure that she goes over to sniff it. We don't drag her because that seems to stress her out, but if she's carried over to it she'll sniff it and be fine afterwards.

We were over at my parents' house for Thanksgiving and Callie growled at my dad in the dark hallway after he walked through the back door. Once he said something though, she immediately started wagging her tail because she recognized him.

We also got to a point where if we tell her it's okay, she'll tentatively walk towards whatever is freaking her out and sniff it. Be matter of fact and calm and tell your dog it's okay!

At 8 months Keeper has also hit the tiniest of fear periods. Alarm barking, a little more tentative about a few things, and backsliding in training. The other day I heard him growling (uncommon) and go in the kitchen to find him growling at the thawing turkey on the counter. He also wigged out at a life-size snowman. Can't say I blame him though. Everyone has just told me to wait it out and just do basic confidence building things that don't enforce his fears.