BC Boards

House training----forgetfullness at 4 1/2 months??

Hi,

I wasn't sure where the best place to post this question would be. It's not really obedience but it is training...and may be linked to obedience so, here goes:

We got our BC cross puppy, Jazz, at about 10 weeks from an animal shelter. She is now 4 1/2 months and has learned alot! She sits, stays, down, comes when no distractions, begining to heel, shakes hands, waves, goes and gets certain toys we ask for, plays hide and seek for toys, etc... In fact up to a few weeks ago she was toatlly house trained, going to the door everytime and whining or barking. Now, she acts as though she has totally forgotten that she wants to go outside...she will walk into the living room and pee...the last time--yesterday--without even going near the door. A few times we have seen her go to the door and get up to take her out and not have been quick enough...she had already gone. We try not to say anything...just take her out and clean it all up with an enzymatic cleaner. But, we are begining to ask ourselves...if we tell her she's a good girl for going outside and don't tell her "no" when she goes inside what is the difference to her? I mean, what makes her want to go outside if we just clean up after her and go on?

We have gone back to crating her or keeping her in the kitchen with a doggie gate if no one can watch her like a hawk. We will also take her out after a nap, playing, etc... and if she even goes near the door. Just a few weeks ago, we didn't need to watch her so closely, so it is very frustrating for us.

She is teething now and being a little obstinate about other training. At times, she acts as though she doesn't know what "sit" means. And she doesn't seem to be learning anything new...its like we are in the doldrums...no forward progression. I've done some searching on these boards and haven't found anyone having this problem.

I am hoping this is a "stage" she is going through!! What are your thoughts? Any ideas to help?

Thanks in advance,

Theresa

Originally posted by Theresa:

Hi,We got our BC cross puppy, Jazz, at about 10 weeks from an animal shelter. She is now 4 1/2 months and has learned alot! She sits, stays, down, comes when no distractions, begining to heel, shakes hands, waves, goes and gets certain toys we ask for, plays hide and seek for toys, etc... In fact up to a few weeks ago she was toatlly house trained,

We have gone back to crating her or keeping her in the kitchen with a doggie gate if no one can watch her like a hawk.

She is teething now and being a little obstinate about other training. At times, she acts as though she doesn't know what "sit" means. And she doesn't seem to be learning anything new...its like we are in the doldrums...no forward progression.I am hoping this is a "stage" she is going through!! What are your thoughts? Any ideas to help?

Hi -RELAX! In my expeience, it is a "stage", and you will come across many more as she grows. :rolleyes:

1)Teething is a horrible time for dogs, all their teeth fall out and new ones come in between 4 and 6 months - imagine if that happened to you!

2)There is documented data about a learning "lag" - I believe around 6 weeks from when a dog first learns something, and then commits it to longterm memory there will be a lag in the behavior. "He forgot what sit means" is a common complaint in our beginner classes. Give it a few days and he's back to remembering...

3) Also, 4/12 months is still very much a "Baby". I would never give my dogs, even the most "brilliant", free run of the house at that age. Keep those baby gates up or crate Jazz until she's a bit older, and things will be easier in the long run. Would you let a 2 year old child have free run of your house? :D

Hope these ideas help...

your question was MY first question to this board also..did you take her to vet????...she may a UTI

that was the advise I was given..altho my dog checked out clear..she was ONLY piddling in my daughter's room and in hubby's workout area..and would only do this after they arrived home from school or work..almost as tho she was jealous vet thought same thing..clean the areas that she has gone extremely well..petsmart or petco have alot of products to help with cleaning..I just started watching her like a hawk..she has not gone in the house for about 2-3 weeks now ..and she 2 1/2....

Thanks! I'll look into if she has a UTI.

Also, thanks for the reassurances. Sometimes we get carried away with our high hopes and need to realize that all this takes time....lots of time.

Nothing worthwhile is easy. And Jazz is definitely worth our patience and commitment...as all dogs are.

Theresa

You are not alone with a regression in housetraining! Phoenix has been house trained since he was about 9 wks old. We have a doggy door and 2 older doggies, who I must give the most of the credit for Phoenix learning so quickly. About a month to 1 1/2 mos. ago he started peeing in the house again. What is really weird (or maybe not), is he only pees on Mirra and Sitka's beds! not on the carpet or floor. I am thinking it is a dominance thing, but this also started with teething, so I wonder if there is a connection there. He also has decided he dosen't like to go out to pee when it is raining! He just goes out the doggy door and sits on the porch. He also has seemed to be disinterested in training in general. He will be 6 mos. old on March 11, so I too am hoping this is just a phase!

We have just gone back to when he first came home, and remind him constantly to go outside and go pee pee, like we did when he was just learning. By the way, you can say "no"OR aah, aah, in a stern voice... you go pee pee outside",(only do this when she is in the process of peeing and you can catch her in the act. If you don't see her do it, there is no use correcting her after the fact as you said. It's important to either take her out on a leash or make sure you watch to see if in fact she pees when she goes out, and dosen't just play or come back in without going potty!

It will get better, just keep on keeping on!

JoeAnne Mirra, Sitka, Phoenix and crew

UTI sounds about right for her.

Our girl got UTI's a lot. She had a very low specific gravity to her urine (it was like water...nothing in it) which meant her kidneys were not doing their job. So, we hoped it was just a "slow to mature" thing and not something big. She got better around 8 months. She's 18 months now and is very good. She has gone in the house twice in the last 6 months. Both times because we didn't let her out and she had asked for 2 hours or so! (We were busy!)

We did a blood work-up on her and we always brought in samples from the first pee of the morning. (Most concentrated)

Good luck.

Denise

I forgot to mention what some else did about going outside, playing or (getting distracted) and "forgeting to go potty". Just went through that with my pup (at 6 months old). We moved to a new place with a beautiful big yard, lots of room to run, but there were also horses nextdoor. "Gotta" had been very easy to housebreak. But she went through a couple weeks where she would go out with the others, and instead of pottying, she would run laps, play, and then get locked on to the horses grazing nextdoor. She would call right off and come back to the house, but apparently had never pottied the whole time she was outside. Minutes later, there would be a mess on the floor or in her crate! I finally realized what was going on (took me while, and I was ready to take her in to the vets). I started taking her out individually and making sure she "did her business" before the any fun happened. She figured it out!