BC Boards

Communication

Bart

Has anyone tried teaching their dog to associate symbols and pictures with your dogs toys.

You can find out more about this on his website:k9basketball.com

but basically he can retrieve his toys by name and by a picture glued on to a cutout of the toy. Now I am associating the cutout with the a symbol on a 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper. The goal is to show him the symbol and he gets the real toy.

No, I haven't. But I thought about teaching Dylan to recognize written numbers in order ! I went to see an agility competition and the course was set out with numbers next to the obstacles indicating to the handler in which order to negotiate them. I thought it would be a neat idea to teach the dog to read the course that way. But on reflection, I know it wouldn't work because he would waste loads of time looking for the number as you can't see them straight on from obstacle to obstacle. Why do you want to teach your dog to get a toy by picture association rather than by spoken word ?

Hi. I checked out your website - you have two gorgeous and very lucky dogs. I don't understand completely about the basketball. Do the dogs know that they are competing against each other or is that and the scoring for the handlers fun ? How did Bart invent it ?!

I love the solo agility idea. I really joked around with my husband when we went to see our first agility competition that I should just teach Dylan to negotiate the course by himself - it is great to know that it is being done ! I still think it would be fun to run round together though. We could always do it both ways ! I don't think we have it here though ( I live in Japan ). How would you teach a dog to follow the rope ? Start off with laying treats running alongside with a big treat at the end ? I guess you have to make sure the rope doesn't cross itself right ? And are you training Bart to respond to picture / written cues for solo agility ? I still didn't quite understand that. And you must have helped him with that using another chair trick..... you put the rope on the other chair, right ? Did he just make that connection all by himself ?