BC Boards

Awkward phase or scrawny?

It's my first post ever and for easter this year I got my puppt. Who happens to be a wonderful border collie. I was concerned about her weight. Clean bill of health but skinny. She's a grazer so her bowl is always left full. And she eats probably 1/2 to 2/3 of it in a day. It's good food, I feed her pure balance grain free for puppies and seniors. Here's a picture of Layla. Let me know what you think. Supplement her diet maybe? She does get table scraps...bad, I know but she likes the last bite of my breakfast. Our secret from dad lol. She's just a doll. At almost 5 months old we can leave her loose in the house for up to 4 hours without incident and she understands basic training. We do live in the city and she's training for agility. A family companion. We also got her from a farm. Doesn't look mixed but she just may be. Anyways, thanks in advance for your help!!!post-16687-0-98153400-1407376179_thumb.jpgpost-16687-0-13136000-1407376149_thumb.jpgpost-16687-0-09956400-1407376084_thumb.jpg

Looks all Border Collie to me. She's a cutie - great eyes.

Awkward (which is what I bet Betsy meant). We have a few "scrawny" bitches on the farm and one of them is more like a whippet in body design. And ... man ... can she run. Yours looks built for speed, too.

Mine's a grazer, too. Makes me nuts - I stress her nutrition constantly. Do dirt chunks, June Bugs, wood chips, bark, mice, ants, earwigs and dragonflies need to be supplemented with kibble? :/

I'd choose the word 'gorgeous' over the word 'awkward'! Young border collies always freak everyone out, I even catch my own mother sneaking my 5.5 month old more food, thinking that he's too skinny. Your pup looks shockingly like mine, all legs and tail! Which, combined with the ears not making up their mind, make the whole picture look kind of awkward! I'm always shocked at how my pup goes from a lithe, athletic, slinky gallop into a tripping, bumbling pile of legs the next second.

Though now you've done it, you've introduced a new pup to the forum, you are now going to be bombarded with requests for more pictures! :)

Haha! She's a very very fast dog.....sometimes. other times she can't keep her feet under. We don't have a pool problem. We have a hose problem. My flower beds are trampled and dry because she attacks the shooting water lol. I'm in Omaha too! Grazers drive me crazy too. Though currently we only have layla and the fat cats. We just got her awfully young. We paid and picked her out at three weeks and at five we were told we had to take her or he would find her another home. My girls would have been devastated. She eats a lot of crayons, bugs, garter snakes, dirt clods, the grass that's only against one of our neighbors fences, and occasionally a pair of undies or two. No wonder she eats no kibble....lol. And she is pretty. I enjoy her spunky personality and how she "talks" lol. Here she is the night we got her, a whole 5lot pounds and 1oz.post-16687-0-86858500-1407413220_thumb.jpeg

Not breeder. Said they were an accidental litter. Sounds like he thought he could control a dog in heat on a farm....moron. She's been great though. Our morning routine. Mom has coffee and her smokes and Layla pouts on the chair when mom quits throwing the frisbee lol.

Yes, a puppy removed so young has special needs.

Mine was taken at 6 weeks, by joint agreement with the breeder and the vet, but it did mean that I had to spend some time between 6-10 weeks being more like a dog than a person.

Ah well, they're in good hands now :)