BC Boards

Our new foster girl...

One of the things I loved about fostering for Arizona Border Collie Rescue was that I, as the foster home person, was the one to decide when the dog was ready for placement AND I had the final say as to who would adopt the dog.

That's how NEBCR works, too, and I think it's great.

I think the 2 week minimum in foster care is a good policy. It's not a magic number that means a dog is thoroughly acclimated, but it does give a FH time for the dog to settle in and make a reasonable assessment of it's temperament. Much less than this, and it's really not enough time for any but the most phlegmatic, bomb proof dog to adjust to its new environment.

I also agree that most dogs shouldn't be kept for months if there are suitable adopters available (there aren't always, depending on a dog's particular quirks). The dogs I was speaking of that remained in rescue a year or more were/are not the majority, but especially difficult cases, dogs confiscated from puppy mills, hoarders, etc., who had severe emotional trauma and/or behavioral issues that needed time and dedication to work with. In situations like this, I'm grateful for rescues and FHs who are devoted enough to allow a dog like this a chance to heal until it's ready to move on to it's new life successfully.

BRBCR (for which I foster) also has a policy that allows the foster parent to approve the potential adopter and adoptive home. For myself, I will not place a dog in a situation with an e-fence, but I know other foster parents who will. That is up to them.

I don't do a lot of fostering - 6 dogs over the last ~3 years - but when I think back to the people who adopted my foster dogs, I feel good that they were placed in a home that was right for them (even if I did want to keep one or two of them :) )

One of the things I loved about fostering for Arizona Border Collie Rescue was that I, as the foster home person, was the one to decide when the dog was ready for placement AND I had the final say as to who would adopt the dog.

After working with a rescue organization that gave me that authority, I honestly would not be willing to work with one that did not . I would recommend to anyone wanting to foster, to be sure the rescue has that policy.

ABCR figures the foster home knows the dog best and should have that say, and they are right. I would not even consider fostering for a rescue who would place the dog without my full consent. I put my heart into each foster I had and it was of utmost importance to me to feel that dog got the best chance of success.

I am not able to foster now (too many dogs at home), but when I can again, I will foster for ABCR again.

You took the words right out of my mouth. This lady told me I would have a say since I would know her best. In the end I had no say and she went to a home with cats and an infant child. Two things that make me uncomfortable about the placement. Plus it's her friend and I get the feeling a lot of her dogs go to friends, family and such.

I felt the same way about offering my time and effort and having it be ignored only to put the dog in the first home that offered. She never even gave the other applicants a review.