BC Boards

Snow

Smalahundur

Would you expose your sheep to training under snowy conditions?

There is an even layer of pretty fresh snow here, I´d say about 25 cm deep (10 inches or so).

I´d like to do a few sessions for the trial that will ( or won´t <_< ) be held next week, but I don´t want to take risks with the health of my sheep.

hum, I never have. I have had to work my dogs and get sheep in in snowy conditions, because of my job.. We get a little snow often very wet, and sometimes ice which prevents me from gathering. I guess I'd ask you what is the field like? :/

Here in Inland NW of US ten inches of fresh powdery snow doesn't pose a big obstacle to training in short bursts of 10-15 minutes. All parties (sheep, dog and handler) will need more frequent rest periods. I have heard that hard exercise in extreme cold can be a hazard to sheep, but simple below freezing temps shouldn't be a problem. Ice and hard crusty snow that breaks-through is risky, although 10 inches or less of fresh fluffy snow, I would think to be OK.

As you may have experienced, in snow dogs get fatigued/lazy, not wanting to trudge so far around on the flanks. Something to be aware of. -- Best wishes, TEC