BC Boards

Small infection

Nanda & Nelson

Last night I noticed a white/yellowish bump on Nelsons belly, right next to his 'private parts' (which he hates us getting close too). It seems as if he has a small scratch that got infected, as it is a little ball of pus right now. It is only like a quarter inch big and there is not a lot of redness around it. I figured I would just clean it and let nature run its course instead of running of to the vet. It doesn't seem to bother him and I'll make sure it doesn't get more red.

Has anyone else had something like this before? If so, what did you do? How 'quickly' do you go to the vet?

How old is Nelson? I ask because I have had several youngsters over the years who would get what some folks call "puppy pimples" on the belly, little whiteheads full of liquidy pus. I had one pup, who had other health issues, who are particularly prone all his short life to infections in any small scratch or abrasion he had on his belly (but not anywhere else). The vet supplied me with a mild antibiotic and drying spray that I used on him because his spots could be quite numerous. I found that worked on the occasional spot my next pup got. I think that unless it grows larger or gets angry-looking red edges, there is nothing to worry about at this point. I'd probably do what you did, clean it up and keep an eye on it.

Good luck with it!

I have this spray called Vetericyn that oxygenates places like that and helps them heal. I love the stuff. Just make sure you keep an eye on it, so if it starts looking like a spider bite instead, you can take appropriate measures.

Nelson is 19 months - and it is the first time he has it. I'll look into that spray this afternoon - I was using stuff from my first aid kit but I need something doggy friendly.

As a first time dog owner, I am learning to not just run to the vet for every small thing anymore and lose lots of $$ (Vets in Vancouver are insanely expensive). I'd rather spent that on some nice treats!

I have this spray called Vetericyn that oxygenates places like that and helps them heal. I love the stuff. Just make sure you keep an eye on it, so if it starts looking like a spider bite instead, you can take appropriate measures.

Is that a prescription item or can you get it without an Rx? It might be the same thing we used to use on Bute and it worked very well.

I order it from Jefferspet dot com, but my local feed store also has it. I like the gel one best for staying put. They even have one that is safe for eyes. It's a little pricey, but it is great for everything!