BC Boards

Rose's Eyes (IMR)

Crawford Dogs

Rose was my agility dog (doesn't work stock as she wants to grip non-stop) and was starting to trial last fall. She was having eye issues all winter, was unable to follow body cues or see obstacles, and was finally diagnosed with Immune Mediated Retinopathy in March. Her vision improved a bit on immunosuppresants but has recently been going back downhill. She saw the opthamologist last week and the good news is that she has no new retinal lesions. The bad news is that they may need to add a second immunosuppressive drug if her decline continues.

As far as we can tell Rose can still see outlines and shadows in daylight. In low-light situations she can't see much at all. Sometimes she can have issues recalling at dusk/early morning (she gets into my vicinity but isn't sure where I am) and has finally adjusted to going outside after dark (has to go down steps). Occasionally she accidently goes into a running dog's path and causes a collision. My younger dog is learning to watch out for her as she will correct any dog that collides with her but sometimes collisions are still unavoidable.

Has anyone ever had a Border collie with IMR or SARDs? How have you helped your blind/low-vision dog adjust to new situations?

Bethany, Rose, and Loki

I met a dog at a trial this summer who may have IMR, based on the story I heard. It was a young dog (about a year old). Owner said first they thought maybe tick disease, but treating with doxy didn't do any good.

Has your ophtho vet said if it may be influenced by genetics?

Usually IMR doesn't show up until around 6+ yrs of age but they can be symptomatic of it for years before hand. They can test for it using a Melan-100 unit at any stage of the disease. Rose has always had times when I wondered about her vision (all my walls have holes in them from Rose's head) but of course, she didn't go to the opthamologist until it became a really big issue that couldn't be discounted as clumsiness/inattention. I don't know if IMR can be influenced by genetics or not. I was told that genetics could have some influence (dogs with allergies are more prone to developing it) but overall IMR and SARDS are not considered genetic diseases. IMR and SARDs are seen most often in dogs with allergies and/or cancer. Usually something such as a vaccination, a tumor, or severe allergies increase the chance of triggering these diseases. The disease often leads to kidney and/or liver failure. Most dogs don't live more than a couple years after being diagnosed. Luckily Rose is the dog that nothing can kill so I'm not too worried. If Rose can survive a 3 month stint at the shelter before being adopted, DIC (Disseminated intravascular coagulation), multiple obstructions (you ate mulch/rocks/etc again??), and pancreatitis I'm sure she can survive IMR. ;) SHe is a "white" border collie with no history of allergies.

If IMR is caught early enough progression can be slowed through the use of immunosuppresants. But in the end the lights will probably go out.

Liz, I certainly hope the pup you met doesn't have it!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/crawforddogs/8365610723/

Bethany, Rose, and Loki