BC Boards

New BC pup, biting/nipping habit

Hi all, first timer on these forums and have been reading quite alot about BC's :)

First time owner of a BC pup, got him a couple of weeks ago and he is a bundle of joy! Absolutely love the little man, but I think I may have taught him a couple of bad behaviours that I would like tips on rectifying.

A bit of background about Cooper ... he is 9 and a half weeks old, and we picked him up at 8 weeks from a BC loving family. They do not breed often, this is their 2nd litter. These people have kids, and when we went over the first time, we noticed the kids being rather rough and razzing little coop up, which in turn he starts to nip at them and thinks it's a game.

I'm not sure if this has carried over to when we brought him home (the nipping and biting), or it's a habit of brought on that his now biting and nipping alot more.

I think I have taught him that when his biting me, I say his name and say 'ah ah' in a stern voice and when he lets go and is calm, he gets a treat. But this is a rinse and repeat habit. So whenever i start walking, his at my feet/legs nipping and biting, until i say 'ah ah' again and he sits and I give him a treat.

I need some tips of on trying to reverse this. I have tried completely ignoring him and looking up, but he bites that hard that he has actually punctured through my skin and I have to literally distract him with a treat.

We have taken him to his first week of puppy pre-school the Saturday just gone, and he has done a great job, he now knows 'sit' and 'come'.

Please help!!

Thank you

Steve

Welcome! This is a great resource (as you already know). You may wish to use the "search" function to check for recent (and not-so-recent) posts that deal with this very subject.

Since I don't have but a minute, let me mention that you may not want to use your pup's name in conjunction with a correction at this point. Let him think that your using his name is always a good thing and when he is older, you can use tone-of-voice with his name to let him know if you are pleased or not.

I would not use treats at all for this nipping issue. You may simply be rewarding for nipping, followed by sitting, and not really being clear that the nipping is unacceptable. In other words - nip, sit, treat! Not what you want to be teaching him!

Different methods include stopping and not moving at all until he stops nipping, sits, and looks up at your face. You will need a lot of consistency and patience. You can also combine this with using "uh-uh" or a sharp yelp.

If more mild corrections don't work, you may have to get a little more insistent - for persistent pups, I have sometimes had to resort to taking them by the scruff of the neck, lifting them gently so their forelegs are off the ground (I'll support the front end with my other hand), and hold them in that position until they quit struggling and bitey-facing at me. Once the pup relaxes (and I do keep my voice deep but quiet and calm, not yelling in any way), I let his/her feet down, stand up, and move off after a moment - giving the pup a chance to reflect on what just happened.

Nipping is common to many pups and particularly so to some pups, You will get a lot of feedback from others who will give much better advice than I will. As you have noted, you need to deal with this now - Cooper has had some reinforcing of this bad behavior and it will take consistency, diligence, and patience on your part. Behaviors that have been encouraged or allowed to become habits are much harder to untrain than those that are nipped in the bud when they first appear (pun intended).

Best wishes!

PS - I'm not convinced I would consider getting a pup from anyone who allows their children to encourage rowdy/bad behaviors in the pups. Just saying.

Hi Sue, thanks for your reply!

I have tried ignoring him to the extent where his nipping turns to biting, and he has lockjaw on my skin, it's not pleasant at all, and have to force him off me (i know this can't be good, but it hurts), and then he jumps straight back in to it, really frustrating!

My partner has actually picked up on how i've been treating him after his calmed down after a nip/bite and that is going to stop from now on. I may have to use the scruff of the neck method and see how I go. Sometimes I can distract him with a toy and he plays with that for a bit, but as soon as I start moving his back on to me, and I think it's because he knows he would get a treat after he lets go, very bad of me!

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it :)

You're welcome!

Don't "ignore him until his nipping turns to biting" - you have got to respond (in whichever manner you choose as appropriate) as soon as the behavior starts. Also, give him something to replace the behavior you don't want. Just like telling a child they can't do something without making sure they have something they can do, you need to make sure he has something acceptable to do - whether it's playing with a toy, chewing on something safe and approved (like a bully stick), or interacting with you (once he's calmed down and not nipping).

Make the acceptable alternatives more interesting than nipping/biting you. Many people don't approve of tug games but interacting with you and a big tug rope or tug rope toy is one way a pup can get some of that energy expended, and you can set the tone of the game by how you play with him.

I haven't used the scruff-of-the-neck technique until I've tried the other approaches first but if they don't work and a pup is still getting carried away with nipping/biting, I have no hesitation to use it. His mother would certainly not put up with this behavior and neither would his siblings. That is one reason why many good breeders do not let pups leave their mother and littermates until eight weeks of age - they learn a lot about socialization and what is acceptable and what is not from their mother and siblings. (Many good breeders also allow pups to go at seven weeks of age, particularly to experienced owners.)

Good luck!

One method I've used, when dealing with sharp puppy nips, is to "yelp" as loudly and shrilly as I can while jerking my hand/leg/foot out of reach, and then glare at the little heathen reproachfully. The louder and sharper your protest is, combined with the "violent" and sudden removal of the abused appendage often gets their attention, because it's the same response they'd get from a sibling if they bit too hard.

Something to try, anyhow! :)

And I have also used Sue's suggestion of a gentle but firm scruffing, when the yelp/yank-away didn't work. Good luck!

~ Gloria
P.S.
Definitely a shame those kids were allowed to engage in rough play like that. It teaches nothing good.

Well, B Point, if yelping isn't dude-ly enough, you could always go for a big, Saint Bernard-size bark. :D Sounds like your method works just as well, though.

~ Gloria

Haha...Gloria, Good idea.....My bark might get a little slurry though as there's no way I could just "carry" that rescue barrel-o-booze hanging around my neck..... :wub:

I swear his getting worse! I think his going through a 'destructive' phase at the moment! He won't listen to anything i say, and he jumps from toy to toy in a psychotic way lol. He is also playing with his water bowl, emptying the water, flipping the bowl upside down, barking at it etc. Fun times :)

If he is "abusing" his water bowl, then don't leave it down for him. Just offer him water periodically and if he doesn't want it, put it back up again. Don't let bad habits develop.

Don't give up on good ideas because things seem to get worse. In my experience, that is sometimes what happens just before a turn-around in behavior occurs.

This reminds me of Bute who, as an adult, was the mildest-mannered dog you'd ever meet but who as a pup could be quite the hellion. He's the one I had to do the neck-scruff and lift until he relaxed, and more than once. It worked.

Remember, this takes patience, consistency, and the willingness to be the one with the bigger brain and the ability to persist. Good luck!

PS - Make sure he has toys that he can play rough with. Also, rotate the toys so that he doesn't get bored with them. You *own* the toys.

Thanks Sue, I didn't know about the toy trick, at the moment his got all sorts of toys, i'll strip him back to a couple, then swap around :)

With the water bowl thing ... Since we are working full time, is it not a good idea to place the water bowl out of reach? It's starting to get warm in Australia now and I don't want to deprive him of water.

Quinn was a holy terror at your pup' s age. I agree with all Sue has suggested. Don't let him practice behaviors that you won't want. Quinn had a short phase of playing with his water bowl and like Sue recommends, I would put it up and offer the water a bit later. Be patient, remember he will mature with time, and unless you have him secured somewhere (crate), don't take your eyes off him! :D

If he's in a crate while you're at work, you can fastening a bucket to the crate itself. In the States, they sell buckets that sort of clip on to wire pens or crates.

You might also try a drip bottle, like they put in rabbit or guinea pig cages. You'd have to teach him to use it, but I've seen many dogs licking at bottle tops for a drink, so it shouldn't be difficult.

If he's not in a crate or some kind of enclosure while you're gone, seriously consider it. It's dangerous for a pup to be alone with nothing to do but get into trouble!

Good luck!

Ruth and Agent Gibbs