BC Boards

Help!

I just got a 13 week old puppy! She is really cute and her name is Nora. She is housebroken already. My problem over the week that I have had her has been keeping her attention. She doesn't like fetch at all. Even with a Kong. She likes tug of war but only for five minutes. Afterwards she starts getting into everything. What have you successfully held your BC attention with?

My 12 week old puppy has an attention span of about 5 seconds. He does fetch a little but not for very long. Some of my border collies never fetched.

There are exercises you can do with your dog that will help with attention. There are some really good trainers on this board and they will know.

You might just be expecting too much from such a little puppy.

Quinn had the attention span of a strobe light at that age. Our games of fetch often consisted of exactly ONE rep. Fetch is now one of his favorite things to do. Her attention span will grow. Just keep things fun and try to end training and games when she is still enjoying herself. It is always better to leave your dog wanting more.

I agree with all of the above. Don't expect even 5 minutes at this age - even if she can do it. And, like Shetlander says, stop before her attention goes to something else - i.e you want her to not want to stop.

Keep mixing it up - a couple of fetches, maybe a 15-30 seconds of tug, practice a couple of recalls by running away from her dragging a tug toy - then let her go off and sniff and explore by herself for a few minutes (maybe keep her on a long line). Rinse and repeat.

Jovi

Five minutes? For a puppy that age that is laser focus! You can try dragging a toy for her to chase. You can teach her the names for all her toys. Teach her to pick up objects that are made out of different materials.

First of all, she's a puppy. Don't expect too much. You don't want to do a lot of fetching right now, anyway (too much repetitious exercise at her age isn't good). So, try fetch a couple of times a day, for just a couple of throws, tug a minute at a time, definitely the recall game Jovi described. Plus, she can start learning commands like sit, down, stay. Exercise her mind in addition to her body. Again, just don't expect too much! Have fun with the training, only a few minutes at a time. Otherwise, just let her be a puppy.

Oh, yeah. And part of being a puppy is resting. Don't make the mistake of worrying if she's bored, or think you have to entertain her 24/7, or you may create a monster. Down time with a chew toy or bone is very good for her.