BC Boards

My adopted BC is protecting me & has become aggressive when anyone gets near me.

I need some advise. I have never owned a BC until I adopted one in April of this year. He is a great dog. He is a calmer BC, Amercian Standard, neutered, & he is approx. 1 yr old. He minds very well. I am experienced with dogs as I own a pet business, but I am not a trainer. I adopted this breed for reasons I will not go into right now. (Will make this too long). I own a small home atmosphere dog boarding business. I am over 50. I left the corporate world to open my small bed & breakfast for pets here at my country home 10 yrs ago. I lost my Akita in January & adopted my BC in April. My new BC is gentle with my senior 12 yr old Cocker Spaniel. Amazingly, he also gets along with my two house rabbits, my one rooster, and my boarding dogs. In the first few weeks in our home, he was friendly to any person visiting. In May, I took him to my vet & he did great in the lobby & friendly to my vet. My vet was impressed with his beauty and personality at that visit. Since, my BC has become very protective of me. Now, he is jumping up, barking and nipping hard at my husband when my husband gives me a hug or kiss. He is fine when visitors are sitting in our house, but when they get up (male or female), he jumps up & nips them if they are walking near me. I took him to the vet yesterday & he was very different at the vet this time. He barked in the waiting lobby when anyone got near me. Then in the exam room, he would not let the vet get near him or me as long as I was in the room. My vet had to take his leash and lead him to another exam room (away from me). He allowed my vet to exam him when I was not around. I do realize I am going to have to socialize him more with people. But, now I am afraid he is going to bite someone and I know he is feeling this in me, therefore, I have some work to do on myself too. Any other suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

For your description of your dog's behavior, it sounds more like he is being "possessive" of you rather than "protective" of you. He is guarding you as he would a treasured toy. When people come close to you, he is objecting by barking and nipping, just as he would if people came close to his favorite possession (chew toy or bone). Unfortunately, you have allowed this to become a habit, so it will be more difficult to change this behavior now than it would have been if you had corrected it the first time he exhibited this inappropriate behavior. However, all is not lost, and there are several ways to help a dog with "resource guarding". I suggest that you do an online search to find a method that you are comfortable using for your dog (without seeing your dog first hand, I won't suggest any specific methods to recondition you dog's behavior). You could also enlist the help of a trainer, but if you do, please do NOT use a "trainer" who uses a shock collar to correct dogs for inappropriate behavior (far too many "trainers" in this area use shock collars to correct behavior problems). Best wishes for your success in helping your dog.

Regards,

nancy

For your description of your dog's behavior, it sounds more like he is being "possessive" of you rather than "protective" of you. He is guarding you as he would a treasured toy. When people come close to you, he is objecting by barking and nipping, just as he would if people came close to his favorite possession (chew toy or bone). Unfortunately, you have allowed this to become a habit, so it will be more difficult to change this behavior now than it would have been if you had corrected it the first time he exhibited this inappropriate behavior. However, all is not lost, and there are several ways to help a dog with "resource guarding". I suggest that you do an online search to find a method that you are comfortable using for your dog (without seeing your dog first hand, I won't suggest any specific methods to recondition you dog's behavior). You could also enlist the help of a trainer, but if you do, please do NOT use a "trainer" who uses a shock collar to correct dogs for inappropriate behavior (far too many "trainers" in this area use shock collars to correct behavior problems). Best wishes for your success in helping your dog.
Regards,
nancy

Nancy, Thank you. I did not realize his actions may be RG. I am trying not to allow the behavior he is showing. I scold him and tell him "No Jumping" or "NO bite" if he does nip. I crate him now when we have visitors until I know how to work with him on this. He shows no RG behaviors with bone or toys. He gets a real bone from butcher at times & I was amazed he is kind at all times with his bone, even when my Cocker walks over and picks up the bone or myself. But back to being RG with me ???? ..... I can advise he is a VERY clingy boy. He wants to be up against me constantly. He loves to lean into me and stay close or in my lap when I allow it. When I work at my desk, he wants to be under my desk at my feet or behind me very close on the floor. He was clingy with his foster mom & she warned me he was very clingy. He is jealous when I talk & play with the other pets. Often, I do have to crate him or put him in another room so I can spend time with other pets.

Thank you Gentle Lake and Nancy. I would have never realized it was RG. I am so thankful I came here to get advise. I will find a trainer and I would never use anyone that used a shock collar. We do have a Border Collie Trainer in my city. I know she does agility. I will contact her to see if she can help with RG.

You are certainly welcome, and I hope that you can get this issue resolved without too much of a problem. Also, you mentioned that he was very clingy and that he wants to lean into you, and that could be another indication that he is "owning" you. Best wishes for your success.

Also, you mentioned that he was very clingy and that he wants to lean into you, and that could be another indication that he is "owning" you.

It could also indicate that he's insecure and that uncertainty is leading to a more fear aggressive kind of reaction (an I'll-get- you-before-you-can-get-me kind of thing, which is usually a bluff hoping that it'll get the person to back down before she or he becomes a real threat.).

Either way, it seems to me that professional help is the way to go.

Speaking from experience, I think you would be better off seeking professional help and an evaluation from an accredited veterinary behaviorist, not an agility or obedience trainer. This is not a training issue, it's a behavior issue, and there is a vast distinction.

I had an aussie who had the same issue with resource guarding me--and he would (and did) do damage to anyone who came near me, given the opportunity. It took time and patience but he eventually made great progress. There is no quick fix and progress doesn't happen in a straight line--there will likely be set backs. But given that it is early and this is not ingrained, I think the likelihood of success is good for your guy. The key is to understand what triggers his behavior and to avoid putting him in any situation where he is at risk for reacting until you've had time to work with him. There is a learning curve to this: recognizing what his body language is saying and working to help him overcome the behavior, and until you have a good basic understanding, I strongly advise putting him up when people come over until you can get a handle on this. Maybe having only your husband feed and walk him, and you ignore him for a while so he will bond with your husband and not perceive him as a threat for a start. Best wishes.