BC Boards

Jumping up

I have BC, Heeler mix. I got her because she was a terriable jumper and her owner just "couldn't" train her to stay down. I have had her for almost a year now. She is 500% better but still will sneak up and jump sometimes when your back is turned. I have used the sit, before being petted, the arms out and looming over her when she comes to jump. I even got desparate and held her paws. She was starved for attention ,she loves people & her jumping seemed to be because she wanted someone to pet her. She now sits and waits to be petted, she sits on command . She is wonderful in the house. It's just the sneak attacks when she is really playing or when she's been outside for a while, that I can't seem to break her of. She seems to be harder to train than my BCs. The grayhound hates sitting but will do it, and never jumps . The border Collies may jump up in front of me, hang out in mid air for awhile and then sit , or walk by my side. Any ideas? she is adorable but the little hard head just isn't seeming to get the idea that you don't ever jump on people. I would love suggestions.

Andrea

Just a thought, Andrea, and it might not suit what you want. My boy now 15 months has always been a jumper - a real Mummy?s boy. He ?knows? not to do it, but excitement gets the better of him. I think I?ve helped him a bit by teaching a ?hug? on command - if I give him this command, he?s allowed to stand up for a hug from me. He does this gently, and doesn?t put much pressure on me with his front paws. To prevent the excited jumping, I cross my hands in front of my body ready to meet his head, - the exact opposite of my hug signal which is hands away from my body. I think it?s helped. (With other people I use ?no jump? followed by ?sit? - and he?s usually on lead so I can correct and re-direct.)

Now all I have to do is modify my recall signal - arms wide - so that he doesn?t get confused and come flying in for a hug!

I like the idea of a command for hugs. I think it might be just the ticket, since her jumping seems to be connected with wanting love and affection. I haven't used the command no jump. I used off, but no jump makes more sense. She is so smart it may be less confusing for her. My older Border Collie used to stand in mid air and twirl awhile until I hugged him and then he got down. At 15 he can't stand up on his hind legs any more, but he still waits for the hug. I never thought of doing it with Gabby,Duhh!!!!. Thanks for the mental nudge.As I get older it is harder to be smarter than the dogs :rolleyes:

Andrea

Originally posted by emmetteabrakai:

I haven't used the command no jump. I used off, but no jump makes more sense. She is so smart it may be less confusing for her.

I'm not sure why that would be less confusing to her, since dogs don't understand English. Unless, of course, you use "Off" for something other than jumping up. Then, yes, you should have something unique to that situation.

Both of my BC mixes came to me as terrible jumpers. Here is what I did. It may not work for you, but I found it very effective. First, I realized that ANY reaction from me for the jumping behavior was actually reinforcing it, whether I was saying NO, OFF, holding their paws, etc, because what they're after when they jump is attention. So I stopped giving the jumping ANY attention. That might sound hard to do, and at first it is, but once you get used to it, it becomes more second nature. So, the moment the dog's front paws leave the floor, they get no attention from me whatsoever. I fold my arms across my chest, turn away from them, and look off into space. The second those paws are back on the ground, I am there praising and giving the attention that they are seeking.

In addition, I never greet my dogs the second I walk in the door, or near the door. Instead, I walk in, calmly ignoring the dogs, while I put my keys away, slip off my shoes, set my purse on the table, etc. Then, I greet the dogs away from the door, after I've already been home for a minute.

Now, both of my former jumpers sit politely and wait for me to greet them. The younger one still gets excited and jumps up at my face when we're about to play or train, but by taking care not to reinforce that, she's learning that she'll get my attention much sooner if she doesn't jump up at me.

Of course, with other people they do sometimes jump. I try to use prevention with the younger one, by keeping her leashed and stepping on the leash so that she cannot jump up. With the older one, I tell her "Off".