BC Boards

Dixie loves fireworks!

Is it the border collie or the jackal that loves explosions with flashing lights?

We watched Capitol Fourth on TV - Maggie da Cat hid under a chair - Dixie dog listened from her chair (the one over the cat). Then, when the show ended, we heard fireworks down the hill. Fergie would have panicked. Dixie went to the doors trying to investigate. So I took her out, on leash, and let her lead me.

Down the hill, to the right, up and over - to where young lads were firing skyrockets. Paused at a neighbor's house - they were amazed that Dix pulled me towards the rockets each time. So on we went. Stopped one house before where they guys were, with another neighbor. Dix pandered for petting - until a rocket went off. Then she watched in amazement. Must have been a half hour - almost a good as the official shows when I was a kid, even if it was kids in the road down the street. And Dixie loved it!

Oh, I keep an eye on this.

Maggie didn't care a fig about noises, explosions, low pressure.... But Fergie sure did. She was way ahead of the weatherman at predicting storms. Last evening, Ferg would have had 2 Benedryl and been hiding in the downstairs bathroom or under on of the guest twin beds. Then Fergie died. I swear, Maggie took on Ferg's role at the very next storm.

Our first dog, Vamp, was neither bothered nor interested in all that. However, when we lived in Woodstock (honest, the real Woodstock, starting 2 weeks after the festival wasn't there - but the music and people sure were), she would bring in the ex-military shepherd who lived at the American Legion hall up the street if a storm was coming. That dog had PTS, although no-one new that syndrome them. Vamp brought him in where he could hide. Then led him out towards home when the storm past. Vamp was a lab-shepherd, dumb as a rock, fantastic with our young kids. And a real friend to dogs in need.