BC Boards

Ewe with really big udder

I have a cheviot ewe, about 5-6 years old, lambed well in previous years. Lambed last week, a single ram lamb, and her udder is absolutely huge. Captured her and looked closely. Udder is not hot, or red, looks like normal color, like the other girls. Expressed milk out of both teats, and the milk looked good, white and healthy. The lamb is doing well, she lets him nurse without trouble. Her eyes are clear and bright, appetite good, drinking water and moving around and hanging out with the other sheep. But we're talking "like a holstein", difficulty walking with it. Definately larger on the left than the right, if I look down from over top of her. One teat hangs below, the other is on the right side. They do look a bit off in placement. But teats normal sized, cool, and productive. Will call the vet if need be, that's what I'm wondering.

Older ewe and bag is starting to break down (muscle tone). Overweight doesn't help, not saying she is but the ones that i had do that were. If it gets so big the lamb can't get it in his mouth you can milk her out a wee bit. Also with a single they usually have a favorite side so that's probably not the favorite side so she has more milk on that side.

If she's looking really uncomfortable milk out a bit but try not to as she will adjust to how much milk her lamb is using. It gets hard for them to walk because the full side will brush against their legs and I'm sure hurt, so sometime you'll see them walking a bit funny too.

I had the same thing with my goat that had a single. The kid absolutely refused to nurse from the other side, so one side practically dragged the ground and in comparison the used side looked dried up.

I sold a ewe really cheap as a pasture mate for a lonely horse with a promise of never breeding her again. Her whole bag was totally broke down. They didn't listen and went on to breed her for years. She did fine but made me wince every time they did.

She was one of my first ewes. Every time I saw her I thought she looked bored so I'd give here a flake of alfalfa. She looked like a giant toad. Poor girl! Live and learn but boy was it a steep learning curve for me those first few years!

She was quite plump when I bought her, and had been out to pasture with my flock for six months or so before breeding. My group gets to walk around a lot and forage, which had not been what she was doing at her former home. If' I'd known this would be a problem for her I wouldn't have bred her. She does have a nice lamb and is devoted to him. That part is good.