BC Boards

Food change has given the dog an upset stomach

RichardH

When I got Nessie from the SPCA, she was being fed Science Diet. I'm told that's a pretty gross food that's full of stuff she doesn't need. So I switched her to Orijen 80/20 adult in late 2012. She's got a nice low and stable weight, nice looking fur and stools seemed fine if not a bit on the hard side.

This is where it gets strange, though. Orijen's factory burned down at some point last year and I had been using the old 5.5lb bags that were black with blue halftone photographic art on them. My LPS has gotten a new shipment (in smaller, 5lb bags) - probably the latest version of the food, but It's still the 80-20 adult formula.

I did the same switch over I did with the Science Diet: about 10 days of blending between the kibble. But I now have a big problem, Ness has gotten very loose stool after feedings since the switch, but she's been otherwise healthy and happy. There hasn't been a lot of stress or anything around the house, so the only variable would seem to be food. I cooked up some rice and boiled chicken and all is fine again for the last 3 or 4 days. I might go see if I can track down the 2012 style food around town, but it's not going to last forever. I guess it's time to change food brands? I can't imagine the formula changed that much? What a pain!

-Rich

A little confused: Did you stop feeding Orijen when (or soon after) the factory burned down? Is that why you transitioned a second time? Or did you transition to the new, but same, recipe? If it is the 'same' recipe, you shouldn't have to transition between bags - even if it comes from a different source --- but I guess I learned something here -- that food made in different facilities may not be the same?

I wouldn't recommend tracking down the old 2012 food since the higher quality foods tend not to have any (or as many) preservatives as the grocery store variety. (Alternately, the quality foods may use 'natural' preservatives that don't last as long.) I prefer not to buy food older than 2-3 months, but sometimes, that information is hard to come by. I shop at a pet food store that turns over the food quite frequently (according to the staff), but I still try to check the expiration date - and have occasionally found an expired bag.

Jovi

I'm confused, too. Did they actually change the recipe for the 80/20 formula feed, or did they just start packaging it differently? Lots of companies are downsizing packaging rather than increasing price, it's the tricky way to get consumers to pay more without complaining. Is the ingredient tag actually different as well?

They have taken potato out of the formula and added peas. It really is a significant formula change. Try adding a spoonful of pure pumpkin to meals for a while. I also add probiotics and digestive enzymes to make transitions easier.

Why would they mess with what was working? It looks like a bunch of the numbers have changed in the analysis comparing the two bags :( After I started feeding just boring rice and chicken for a couple meals - all went back to normal. I tried going back to the dry feed again the last two days with the same poor results. Sigh. I guess it's goodbye Orijen. No point getting a half pound less food that's just going to make her uncomfortable.

-Rich

They have taken potato out of the formula and added peas. It really is a significant formula change. Try adding a spoonful of pure pumpkin to meals for a while. I also add probiotics and digestive enzymes to make transitions easier.