BC Boards

How to Keep Attention

I just got a 4 year-old who is wonderful: fun, easy to work with, attentive, etc. I have one significant problem; she lives for two things: chaseing squirrels and chaseing balls. When she is focused on a squirrel or chaseing it, I cannot get her attention; when she is off-leash, it can be very dangerous as she will run far and wide. When she has a ball, she will come but will not drop it.

How can I train her to pay attention, to come when called, and to drop the ball on command? Are there books that may help?

I live in Tampa, Fla. Does anyone know of a good trainer or classes in the area that I can take?

Thanks for the help.

OK Ron I do have a couple of suggestions. Bear in mind I'm no expert but I have heard this method used in different scenarious so it could be worth a try regarding the squirrels! Now I'm from Australia so my 1yr old Border Collie Chelsea has never seen a squirrel, but she does have a tendency to give the odd kangaroo a run for its money now and then. I live in a major city in Oz but have a small weekender about 40 minutes away. It's a tiny little fishing village and we are right on the water. The kangaroos are wild and there are plenty of them and they just come and graze in the back yard, lay under the tree out the back and even sometime go for a swim in the calm waters of the passage. Chelsea is so used to them now that she doesn't pay them too much attention. However, this is my suggestion for you.

You need to put you're dog on a very long rope and when she sees the squirrel off she goes until WAMO!!!! end of the rope. Call her immediately she reaches the end of the rope and bring her back to you and reward her with food and praise! praise! praise! her for coming back. Don't scold her for running off! I think in no time the squirrel chasing will be a thing of the past. Let me know what you think!

As for dropping the ball I'm not sure how to help there as I'm having trouble with Chelsea as well. She fetches the ball no troubles but when she brings it back she drops it about 5 feet away and WILL NOT drop it at my feet, so I have to keep walking over to the ball all the time! And let's face it, who wants to walk if you don't have to!?!?!? hee hee

Good luck!

OK Ron I do have a couple of suggestions. Bear in mind I'm no expert but I have heard this method used in different scenarious so it could be worth a try regarding the squirrels! Now I'm from Australia so my 1yr old Border Collie Chelsea has never seen a squirrel, but she does have a tendency to give the odd kangaroo a run for its money now and then. I live in a major city in Oz but have a small weekender about 40 minutes away. It's a tiny little fishing village and we are right on the water. The kangaroos are wild and there are plenty of them and they just come and graze in the back yard, lay under the tree out the back and even sometime go for a swim in the calm waters of the passage. Chelsea is so used to them now that she doesn't pay them too much attention. However, this is my suggestion for you.

You need to put you're dog on a very long rope and when she sees the squirrel off she goes until WAMO!!!! end of the rope. Call her immediately she reaches the end of the rope and bring her back to you and reward her with food and praise! praise! praise! her for coming back. Don't scold her for running off! I think in no time the squirrel chasing will be a thing of the past. Let me know what you think!

As for dropping the ball I'm not sure how to help there as I'm having trouble with Chelsea as well. She fetches the ball no troubles but when she brings it back she drops it about 5 feet away and WILL NOT drop it at my feet, so I have to keep walking over to the ball all the time! And let's face it, who wants to walk if you don't have to!?!?!? hee hee

Good luck!

That's interesting that your dogs drop the ball 5 feet away, my BC does this too. I had thought it was a way of 1) catching his breath before the next throw, 2) getting more attention, 3) just being obstinate. But now that I hear you all seeing the same behavior, I wonder if there's something more to it. Hmmm...

kevin

My girl Bindi use to drop the ball up to a metre away from me, until I refused to play.I started by saying "Well, bring it here"she would bark and carry on and I would walk away. It took a day or 2 and she will now bring it straight to my feet(only my feet, no one elses)if she doesn't I just look at her like she has stuffed up and she will bring it to my feet.

When Cruz or Streak manage to get to the ball before bossy bitch does and they drop it as soon as they catch it, Bindi will get the ball and bring it to me with the look on her face like"Jeez I am good, ain't I mum?"

I sometimes make her, even if the ball is only cm's from my feet, to drop the ball right on my foot, she loves this game.

Congrats on your rescue! I hope you solve the squirrel/recall problem....it isn't anything I can help with, other than the long rope solution. (I have one who's the same way....I'm just careful she isn't loose where it could be a traffic problem....)

What does she do when she brings the ball back? Just hang onto it? Run away with it? If the latter, you may have a "keep away" dog, and that'll be your game!

One possibility (depends on your dog) is to have some really really yummy treats when you play ball. When she comes close with the ball, offer a treat and say "drop!" (or whatever command you want to use). Even the most ball-crazed dogs will usually take the treat (we're talking gizzards, liver, chicken, hot dogs, cheese, whatever works best!). And while some probably can hold both in their mouths, most will drop the ball to take the treat!

My other dog (the one who doesn't even see squirrels or bunnies) would "throw" a ball or other toy at my feet if I didn't immediately stoop over to pick it up. Now she's learned that "hand!" means that she'd better pick it up and put it at my hand level (which is about her head level) and hang onto it until I take it. Otherwise, it just lays there on the ground! Great for lazy ball-throwers....

Let us know how you're doing.

diane

[This message has been edited by diane allen (edited 05-09-2002).]

Thanks all of you for ;your comments, suggestions and concerns. I am working with her on the squriel problems daliy without much success. I take her where there are a lot of squriels, when she see one, I call her and jerk the leash, and she come half-heartedly while continually watching the squriel. I try to give her a treat, but she has no, and I mean NO, interest in it; all she wants to do is track and chase the squriel.

Today, I took her to a fenced-in park where we play chase-the-ball. She spotted a squriel outside the fence and spent the next twenty minutes watch the squriel with no interest in the ball or anything else.

Speaking of balls, when not distracted, she loves chaseing balls (she is amazingly fast,) she will come within five to ten feet, but she will not drop the ball either on command or on her own. I am taking her to training classes starting next Monday, and I hope that they will have some helpful suggestions.

It may sound that I am complaining about her; I am not. She is a delight!

I would try the long rope trick also. Always have the dog on a long rope. If she bolts after a squirrle stop her and say "NO!" or "Lie Down!" or what ever you use.

with the droping the ball thing here is what I do.

When you dog comes to you say "Drop it" (or what-ever) if the dog doesnt drop the ball reach your hand under its head and grab its lower jaw. Press the lips against the Teeth GENTLY (your not out for blood) repeat "Drop it" if the dog still doesnt. Press harder and say "DROP IT" in a firmer but not yelling voice. This doesnt seem to hurt the dogs...but it does get the point across

Be patient and have fun

~Zach~