BC Boards

Finding A Working Bred Prospect?

I have been reading the forum with great interest. I have been looking for a BC as my next agility partner. I have been very successful with another breed already, and have a very fast, very high drive dog. Here there is a strong support for getting a BC from a breeder who breeds for stock work. I do not know anyone in the herding world. Who would you recommend to get a high drive BC from for agility who is breeding working stock dogs? I do not have anywhere to train for herding, so will strictly be doing agility.

Please, no rescues. I really do want to start with a puppy, and want to know where and what my dog has come from. I just want to be honest. I think it's a wonderful option for many, but isn't something I'm wanting to do.

Have you tried talking with other border collie competitors where they got their dogs? If a border collie really catches my eye I talk to the owner to find out where they got their dog from. :)

Also I know it is none of my business but why are you interested in the border collie breed?

I say good for you for looking for a working bred dog (even if you "only" plan on doing agility). Where are you located?

A

AgileS, a working bred border collie is a wonderful dog. Check with the stockdog association in your area. they may know of good breeders they could suggest. Even with that, you do want to meet the parents and talk to the breeder about their breeding program, etc. One thing to be aware of is that all of the things that make a great working dog can also be seen as "issues" to an agility person, especially if you are not familiar with the breed. Things like motion sensitivity/ reactivity and sound sensitivity, being pushy, etc. Getting the dog as a pup, especially around 8-10 weeks is a good idea and doing a lot of socialization and training will help.