BC Boards

Tips and suggestions...

SS Cressa

For let me make clear this is NOT for me!

My brother has a sibling to my pup. He has started putting his pup with cattle. I am just looking for any type of articles or videos I can send him to help. Weither its clear reasons not to let the pup be with the cattle or ideas that will make it the safest for the pup. Pup is 5 months old.

He doesn't go online(no access). Also he knows I am a novice.

He does plan on sending his pup out to get trained when his pup is older.

I was thinking of ordering him some magizines so he has some idea on what to do. Any ideas on which ones?

Or mailing him a video... any suggestions?

My brother is used to cattle and regually helps with the chores on the farm. He also routinely helps round cattle up with man power for calving, auction, meds... etc.

This is the first dog he will have *trained* though. He did used to have a border collie that would help out a little... But he didn't get her till she already had a basic understanding of commands(sit, down, stay) and she was 2 years old when he got her.

I am just looking for tools to help them out for a better success.

Would he be willing to buy a book? Or could you buy one for him? If so, I'd recommend Anna Guthrie's Working with a Stockdog. It's meant to be a practical guide for farmers who want to use their dogs on the farm. You can get it at Outrun Press.

Your brother needs to understand that a cow can kill a full grown dog with a well-placed kick. A pup, who isn't as quick and doesn't have the self control of a trained adult is just a target waiting to be maimed or killed. If the farm has some calves that are relatively tame, he could start his pup on them, but no 5-month old pup has any business being in with non-dog-broke cattle, not if your brother values his dog's life.

Maybe once you get some replies here, you can print out the thread and hand that to your brother. I've worked fully trained dogs on unbroke cattle, and it's really not something a novice should be trying to do with a pup. Hopefully folks like Anna will see this thread and offer you some good advice for your brother.

I'm sure there are some suitable videos out there, but I don't have time to go look for them.

J.

I was going to buy them and ship it to him.

:) I figure books or magizines he might be more willing to listen to. He knows I don't know much of anything about livetsock or herding just the basic of the basic.

I would never start a youngster on cattle myself although I know Anna, with her own dogs, her experience, and her well-dog-broke training calves has exposed some of youngsters when she felt it was appropriate.

You say he's planning on having the dog trained - why risk messing this youngster up by playing around with him on cattle now? Many trainers would rather start with a blank slate in a youngster or dog than have to try and deal with poor experiences or so-called "training" (particularly by someone with no stockdog experience) beforehand. It's much easier and more likely successful to let a trainer do it right in the first place rather than having to fix someone else's mistakes.

I am not sure he would listen to me. I have told him one bad experience can last a lifetime or make his pup turn off of herding and I have told him bad habits once form are very hard to break.

I am looking at giving him info that he can makes his own decisions about and what he wants to do. Weither it is good or bad. Figure give him enough information/reading that he can make his own inform decision.

Don't think sheep are an option since they are not around where he lives nor did I see many goats out there. I did see goats kept with the horses since if anything is "bad" out there the goats will be the first to find it. :)/> Don't think the goats available would be good to train with through.

He is in eastern MT... I went out there for my winter break. He lives in the part of MT that the cows out number the people. Where the main road through town doesn't even have a stop sign and the nearest "town" is an hour away. The nearest pet supplies or normal stores are over 2 hours away. Where coffee shops are non exsistance. LOL

And I have been trying to find any trainers out there for herding and still havent found any even within a 5-6 hour driving one way. Yes I even looked for a trainer in MT, ND, and WY. I believe I have even contacted the USBCHA directors of that area and have never heard back. (but that is more my frustration than my brothers).

ETA: He knows my pup is waiting to start herding and the reasoning behind it.