BC Boards

Anybody still doing agility out there?

This is really just a test to see if this bulletin board is still working - where is everyone?!

We've been busy practicing and doing some trials, with a few "almost" qualifying runs....but the biggie is coming up this weekend: the USDAA Regional Grand Prix Championship in Denver. Lucy, aka the "Screamin' Demon", has qualified twice - but both runs with ten faults. I really don't think one should be ABLE to qualify with ANY faults! They just suck you in, to do more, when there's truly no hope of even placing, let alone winning, and forget qualifying. I'll bet there will be 50 dogs in the 22" height class - oh my.

Oh well, I get a cool shirt, Lucy gets yet another really expensive training run, and we'll both have fun. Guess that's what it's supposed to be all about, eh?

So, wish us luck, and I'll check back in "later." (Ha! Only if we do well....)

diane

Diane:

Best of luck at the Grand Prix. Let us know how you do. I haven't kept up with the new USDAA changes in format for the Nationals this year in California. My husband went last year and made it to the final round, then crashed and burned. We don't plan to go this year. Is the event you are at this weekend the thing that if you win, you are guaranteed a spot in the finals at Nationals?

Please report back to let us know how you did!

There are still a few of us on the boards who run in agility and aren't afraid to say so. wink.gif

All the best,

Gayle

Hi Dianne,I was wondering about this board here being quiet.Hmmm I'll dare to answer you and hope even on this forum we don't get attacked for doing fun stuff with our dogs.I know,maybe an ALL ALERT__THIS DISCUSSION PERTAINS TO FUN ACTIVITIESNo Herding discussions allowed!! Yes,this weekend I am doing my first agility trial with my 3 year old Belle.She did the Obedience trials last year.I can't wait either and already have her scheduled to compete every other week end.She can't wait either.Today I went all out and bought her an XLarge wire crate(since she can't walk the course with me),an 8X10 tent for us to lounge in all day,bought her her own cooler for water,I'll have mine and my lounge chair and we are ready to party.I even spray painted my name on the tent so people know what tent I'm at.LOL.I'll let you know how we did.Hey I hear if you eat a banana before going in the dog won't smell your stress.Of course how could I be stressed when we are going to have fun.I'm shooting for a goal at the NADAC Championships next year.And aybe the BC Nationals

------------------

Country Manor Border Collies

Rogers,Mn.

763-428-8461

[This message has been edited by UpNatEm (edited 07-18-2001).]

BPoole - yes, west side of Denver. I don't have the directions with me, but it shouldn't be too hard to find. From I-70, west of the city, take C-470, which is the cut-off to Colorado Springs. It's south of I-70, there's an exit for Highlands Ranch. Apparently we're in a football stadium - so really, it shouldn't be hard to find!

Starts Sat. about 8 a.m., will probably run till at least 5, maybe 6 or 7 p.m.; Sunday, the same.

We'll be under a tan colored, rounded LLBean shade shelter, with one large x-pen with the All American (black and tan, malamute/shepherd/?? mix) Cisco (runs in 22" Performance II class, standard only), and his "taking the weekend off" BC pal, Sophie; and a black wire crate for Lucy, 22" Championship class runner in everything. See you there?!? Bring a chair - you can share my shade! (Bring water too - I think it's going to be hot!)

Gayle - yes, I think your assessment of qualifying is correct, though frankly I am absolutely certain we have no hope, so haven't really paid any attention! There is a round on Sat. and if you qualify Sat, there's a second round on Sun. Oh well - one will be plenty fun!

diane

[This message has been edited by diane allen (edited 07-19-2001).]

Hi Diane -

I am just starting in Agility with my BC, Jack. We just finished Pre-Agility, and now we're starting Beginning Agility. Jack is a natural. And, he's really fast. I'm not a young woman anymore, and it's going to be a challenge to stay with him. Great exercise!! Our trainer is wonderful. She insists that the dogs are doing Agility to have fun. We're not allowed to say *No*, or to jerk on leashes. Everything is *Good Boy* and *Yes*. I really like that attitude.

We're working on having Jack watch my hand and my shoulder. Our homework is to have Jack bop his nose on my hand, then he gets a treat.

Good luck this weekend. I hope you come back and post about the Trial.

Peace and Love

Sandra

"I'm not a young woman anymore, and it's going to be a challenge to stay with him. Great exercise!!"

LOL,,Sandra,,I'm 46 years old! I was doing Obedience Trials last year because it is low key activity.Now I'm starting the agility trials and yes it's great exercise.Whew,last night we ran a full course in 90 degree weather with humidity just for practice for this trial this weekend and after running with her I kept thinking " I better not have a heart attack this weekend!"..LOL..Actually yes in agility it's praise praise praise and have fun definately. Later you learn how to direct your dog without running so much.(When Belle learns that and she's already getting closer to it,,you enter the Gamblers class for fun).Until then from one ol lady to the next,,have a blast.

------------------

Country Manor Border Collies

Rogers,Mn.

763-428-8461

Well, we're back, and you won't see us on Animal Planet - this year. Maybe next!

The Grand Prix runs were most exciting. There were lots of folks from CA and TX there, in addition to lots of folks from CO, and a few from NM and UT. There were 90 dogs running in Round #1!! And I was wrong -there weren't 50 dogs in the 22" height class, there were only 38!

Lucy did quite well, even though she had one off-course, which threw us out of Round #2. I was still quite pleased with her run! Lots of the "really really good" dogs had the same or a similar off-course. Course times was (as I recall) 57 seconds; Nancy Gyes and Riot (or heck, was it Wicked? One won 22", the other won 26"!) won in 34 seconds (rounded to whole numbers). My Lucy did it in 46, and considering that the off-course tunnel had to take at least several seconds, and another one or two to get back on course...well, I was still pleased. She would have been 7th, time-wise, if it weren't for that darned off-course. It was a really fun course to run. There were many really fine runs, and it was great to watch the excellent handlers and their amazing dogs.

Lucy also managed to finally (at her 5th trial running Advanced...) get a standard qualifying round. Whew. That was hard-won. (And a 1st place out of 12 dogs -when she's good, she's really really good...!) She knocked one bar on the other standard run (of course, my fault), and the judge called a missed down contact on the A-frame...thought the video a friend took surely didn't look like it. Oh well - wouldn't have mattered anyway. Her other runs were good, but none brought that elusive "Q." (I learned yet another lesson in Snooker....argh! If the dog takes an ascending double jump in the wrong direction, you should correct that jump, then go on.)

It was hot, hot, hot. And BPoole, I'm sorry if my directions weren't good enough. (or maybe you got there and just didn't find me?) I had no idea Highlands Ranch was so large an area! We were at the Shea Stadium in Redstone Park. Are you interested in the next USDAA trial in that area?! I think it'll be September....

Off to yet another USDAA trial next weekend in Salt Lake City (Draper arena, in case anyone wants to come and cheer!). Hoping for yet another Q might be pipe-dreaming - but hey! Why not?! Surprises are supposed to come in threes, aren't they?! (2 more would be too much to take in one weekend though! smile.gif

diane

Diane:

Sounds like you had a great weekend. Good luck next weekend as well.

Isn't Nancy Gyes awesome? I went to a 4 day clinic in North Carolina which she was giving. Riot was her demo dog at the clinic and she is an amazing little dog. They made the World Team this year you know!

All the best,

Gayle

Ha, Finally something in North Carolina. I am planning to get a Border Collie in the next could of months and i would really like to get into Agility competitions. If anyone could help me out as to when and where some of them are, or when there will be clinics and such. I would like to learn as much as possible (i know next to nothing) about Agility competitions before i get my dog. I live in North Carolina and if you guys could help me out with things on this coast i would be very appreciative. I am also taking a road trip to Arizona in September, so if you guys could let me know of anything going on in the South Western stated during September, that would be great.

Guest rtphokie

Hi Ethan,

Where in NC are you located? I'm in the Raleigh area, but am familar with most of the clubs statewide and could point you in the right direction.

Laura

Ethan, check out www.usdaa.com. There's a trial in Albuquerque, NM on Sept. 8-9. That ALSO, most regretfully for those of us that want to attend both, is THE Meeker, CO sheepdog trial. There will be an agility demo at lunch-time on Sunday, and we'll be there. Hate to miss the trial....but I promised friends I'd do Meeker (besides, it's a most amazing event, even if we DON'T herd!).

I know there's an (shudder - don't tell anyone) AKC trial in the Denver area (but not Denver proper) the following weekend. Check the AKC web page for details.

The only other thing I know of at present is a NADAC trial in Albq. the last weekend in October - Oct. 27-28. Check www.nadac.com for that one.

Both of those organization's web sites will tell you about other trials, perhaps in southern NM or AZ. It is a popular time for trials! Maybe see you at one?!

My brag for this post: following the Grand Prix weekend in Denver was a USDAA trial in Salt Lake City. Lucy managed to FINALLY get her first Advanced Snooker qualifying round - I figured out the minimum number of points needed, and figured we might actually be able to DO it. We made it with one point to spare! She also did a great Gambler's run - which I blew with my opening (took two gamble obstacles, back to back, though in reverse order....live and learn. Argh!). We managed to secure that last Advanced Pairs leg with Sheila Lavin from CO and her Buz; we're both moving to Master's now!

And friend Erica Maurer (previously from Albq, now in CA) ran Lucy in her standard run on Sunday - after messing around near the start line (having crossed it and started the clock) with her LEASH (she sometimes thinks it's a tug toy) for several seconds....she qualified, AND came in first! Beat course time by some 8 seconds, with all that messing around time added in. Whew! Just goes to prove....she's a really really good dog....if she just had a better handler, we'd go farther! It was so much fun to watch them run, and I thank Erica greatly! That's her second Advanced leg....so we're on our way (gulp!) to Master's. (Hate to miss the Albq. show because of that...but we really do need more practice, well, I need more practice, before we hit the Master's tour!)

diane

Guest rtphokie

Ethan,

There is an agility club in W-S. I'll track down an email address and get it to you. There is a NADAC trial Oct 6-7 just west of Tanglewood. You should come on out! I won't be there, have a flyball tourney, but NADAC's fun to watch (and even funner to RUN!).

Laura (Raleigh area)

[This message has been edited by rtphokie (edited 08-01-2001).]

Guest rtphokie

Gayle,

Are you talking about Maureen Robinson? She's in the western part of the state (Asheville area) and is in the Blue Ridge Agility Club.

Ethan,

Contact Sarah Fix at Leaps and Bounds Agility in Winston-Salem, at sfix@netunlimited.net

She has a BC too. :rolleyes:

Laura

Yes, Laura, that's who I was referring to. I just didn't want to put her full name out on the internet. It sounds like she may not be near him then?

As you can see, I'm not familiar with where things are in that state, although I have been to Maureen's place a few times. wink.gif

Gayle